Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal plates and insurance ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Personal plates and insurance ?

Quick question for you car guru's out there on Christmas day. Does having a personalised plate affect your insurance at all - and should I make my insurers aware that I will have one on the car ?

Many thanks and enjoy the rest of your day.

Adz
    Arden Blue VXR / itg / Full Remus / 259bhp & 262lb ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they will need to know the new registration number! you need to change it with the DVLA first before you can display that number.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh m8 at the insurance we need to know the cars reg obviously,

the main reason for this is because we are insuring you on a specific car, and also if any details are incorrect it can invalidate ur whole policy,

it shouldnt make a difference to your premium, however you may be charged an ammendment charge.

i had a customer on a couple of weeks ago who put a private plate on her car, she didnt phone up and inform us of this change, she was then pulled over by the police who told her that she wasnt insured as all they hav to do is type your reg into they're computer. and she phoned us up to complain , she learnt the lesson the hard way after nearly being convicted of driving without insurance.

the moral of the story is, if ur reg aint the same on ur insurance, ur gonna have problems because your new reg aint gonna show up as insured on the police database, and if you have a claim, ur incurance company mite not pay out because ur details are incorrect.
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the paperwork once to say what my new plate was so i changed them over as the new v5 showed the current details. within 2 mins of driving i was pulled by the police as the info from there computer showed a plate that did not exist on the dvla system - luckily i had all the paperwork with me and it took them 40 mins to decide everything was ok. the policeman told me that the altho you have the paperwork it can take a couple of weeks for it to actually show on the computer systems.

i told my insurance at the time the original owner wanted his private plate back and i was not charged to alter the policy with the new number

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The important word here is may be charged a fee, Personally speaking Ive re-registered 4 vehicles with private plates and never yet been charged any fee, so providing all is in place with the DVLA correctly re-registered etc then a quick phone call to ur insurance advising new VRM is all that will be needed.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to put it blunt..

it wont effect your insurance..

BUT you may have to pay a small fee to have your details changed... thats all!
    ASTRA COUPE 2.2 16V, FULL CAT BACK EXHAUST AND DBLIAS FLOWMASTER KIT!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    - Cheers thanks for your replies guys, stupid question really, if I thought about it a bit longer perhaps I wouldn't have said it the way it maybe came across, appreciate your time.

Cheers

Adam

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Admiral charged me a £14.50 admin fee to change my registration. That was it.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy
    Admiral charged me a £14.50 admin fee to change my registration. That was it.
    Hmm, I'm with Admiral too I'll give em a bell when I get my paperwork through see what the charge is, it's bound to have gone up knowing my luck.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in work i never charge for a change of reg number. Nor do barclays who i'm insured through.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast