Thread: How difficult is fibreglassing?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

How difficult is fibreglassing?

How difficult is it to work with fibreglass? To make a template of something for example.

I want to make a template of the 'eyebrow' section of my Morette headlights to have a carbon fibre eyebrow made up (the ones i'm selling are a different profile before u all shout at me!)

I have rung several fibreglass moulders and manafacturers who have just dismissed me, and bodyshops wont take the work on this time of year, so i was wondering if it could be moulded by hand and then cut and sanded to shape???

Any ideas boys and girls??
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It Not super Hard....just alot of trial and error involved!! Just need to Make sure that you cover it with Some sort of PVC style tape so the fiberglass comes away! Once you've got the rough shape you want its a case of removing, shaping and sanding!
    THE STATEMENTS MADE ABOVE ARE MERELY MY OPINION AND SHOULD NOT BE INTERPRETED AS STATEMENTS OF FACT UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fibreglass is easy once youve got used to it matey, i would speak 2 carl at end of your road he is really good at fibreglassing because we all work at tvac where we put fibreglass bodies on the fire engines and we work with it everyday making moulds and repairing etc

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    u reckon he'd help me out? i haven't spoken to him in TIIIIIIIME
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea fibreglassing isnt difficult once you've had a play. I made an install just as a test to see If i could work with the stuff, to then move onto the real moulds/installs
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you could just wrap carbon weave over the bit of the morettes you want to cover

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyG
    you could just wrap carbon weave over the bit of the morettes you want to cover
    no i couldn't mate, been there, tried that. I want real carbon ones, but carbon fibre in sheet form only bends across one plain, and these have a curve in them, so it doesn't sit right.

Then i tried crappy carbon film, which is an absolute pig, that went out the window after i tried doing one. It creases and bubbles far to easliy and the end result looked GASH!

So my next idea is to mould them out of fibreglass, so i know it's a glove like fit, and then send it to get dipped like my mirror covers i think. Not real carbon, but it'll do for me
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add me on msn, I can give you pics and show you a step by step on how to do things, i do installs as part of a small company, never attempted anything like you have said but i might be usefull
    WWW. FUTURESHOCKAUDIO .CO.UK
    Back in the Vauxhall fold - Astra Turbo & '82 Merc sadly missed, Two VX220's should keep me happy though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like an interesting project. i was gonna try using Fibreglass for my ICE install but decided it was pointless as i dont keep a car for more than about 6 months at a time, but good luck anyway pal.