Thread: how many preouts?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how many preouts?

i want to run comps and sub (or 2 mini-subs in doors), what do i need in the way of pre-outs from h/u?...mine has one set, wired into 4ch amp, can i just connect speakers to all 4 channels?...

li'l help?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You can run as many amps as you like from one pre-out as you can get splitters to split the RCA's into more pairs. However for the best quality a H/U with 3 pre-outs would be best, as you can then control the balance/fade + sub level all from the H/U.

IMO it would be better to have a separate amp for your subs + one for your comps, unless your subs are going to be running on low watts.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for reply buckle...the h/u & amp have been installed professionally, the h/u only has one pre-out (didnt reaslise the reason for multiple pre-outs till too late) ... there are 2 sets of RCA's going into the amp, but he hasn't put any splitters from head unit, hence one set of RCA leads isnt connected as yet...BUT, my query is, if i connect another speaker set or small subs to the second output on the amp, will i get sound?
    ...in other words, will connecting one set of RCA leads from my h/u, activate both speaker outputs from amp?

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would say it depends on the amp.....should be okay.

I have a genesis 4 channel that can take one input and splits it to two outputs, one for sub, other for components.

I'm not making the best use of the headunit though, I should be using another set of pre-outs that I have...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Depending on your make of amp, why not run high level input into it from the HU's speaker channels and use it to power the components, then use your auxiliary output (pre-out) to power another amp that runs your sub(or subs). Best of both worlds, keeping components and subs seperate whilst keeping your existing H/U.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Oh and another thing, I definately wouldn't recommend using RCA splitters on your single pre-out unless it has a high voltage output. In the same way when you split a TV signal, the overall quality of that signal will reduce each time you split it, so splitting one into two will reduce each by 50% etc.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blimft
    thanks for reply buckle...the h/u & amp have been installed professionally, the h/u only has one pre-out (didnt reaslise the reason for multiple pre-outs till too late) ... there are 2 sets of RCA's going into the amp, but he hasn't put any splitters from head unit, hence one set of RCA leads isnt connected as yet...BUT, my query is, if i connect another speaker set or small subs to the second output on the amp, will i get sound?
    ...in other words, will connecting one set of RCA leads from my h/u, activate both speaker outputs from amp?

Yes you should get sound to all 4 speakers as long as you 'flick' the right switches on the amp. Depending on what amp it is though i don't think it will be much use to run a pair of subs off + comps, though it should be ideal to run 2 pairs of comps or a pair of comps + pair of 6x9's.

Post up the make + model of the amp and people will be able to advise futher.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks buckle... my amp is Ground Zero 4ch ... as i say, there are 2 sets of RCA cables going into it, but only 1 set are cinnected to the h/u preouts.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah there will be 2 inputs so that you can have the front + rear sound going into the amp from the H/U individually so you can control the fade from front to back etc. But there should be a switch on the amp that changes it so only one of the RCA inputs is used, and that single input is played out through all 4 speaker outputs.

On my kenwood amp the switch says above it, "input selector" and you can choose to use both A+B inputs, or just A. You want to set your amp so it is only using the one input, i.e just A
    Just make sure that the pair that is connected to the H/U is connected to the A input on the amp

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i see...thanks i will check on the amp,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast