Thread: Do you think this will ever run again. LOL

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Do you think this will ever run again. LOL

Right well after braking down on thurdays at 12.30pm i just left the car and walked home. Got up early on friday to go and toe it home with my van and the battery on the van was flat, had to bump it then off we set, the tow rope snape and had to push it on my own but i did get it home in the end. Still had to go to work though.

Did a compression test this morning and i got the following

Cylinder 1 = Just spiked 125-0, 125-0, 125-0 as i turned it over. (which is wierd)

Cylinder 2 = 20psi

Cylinder 3 = 125psi (which is what it should be)

Cylinder 4 = 0

So thought ive done at least 1 piston and a valve, or gasket. Well after some painfull hours of taking the turbo off and then the inlet and then finally the head i found the following you might want to sit down before looking at these :-

Did everyone see the amount of metal there was knocking around, it was everywhere all in my inlet and turbo manifold, across all 4 cylinders the lot. now my next biggest concern (after another block, head and 2 pistons) is weather its damaged my brand new hybrid. The last 2 pics are of the turbo the first one which is not that clear cause its was getting dark is of the turbine wheel now and the last pic is what it looked like new.

Do you think it has had any damage it still spins freely and there is minimal play in the shaft side to side, no movement in or out. Should i just re use the turbo or send it back to Owen developments to be checked out in case it is broken.

Just what i needed 2 days before xmas, ive got to drive 200 miles on xmas day to see my mum in my transit now. What would of caused this sort of damage. im thinking fueling issues.
    Tarox 10 Pots, Gaz Suspension, Steel Rods, Garret GT30RS, MSD 550's, 87mm Pistons, Custom Software, Quaffie Diff, Paddle. 407Hp @ 1.8 Bar

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gutted mate, are they standard pistons???? what boost you running?

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    new lump time
    did the water pump die ?
    i would look at fitting a new engine with some head work why you fixing it up not nice this time of year mate is this the new engine you fitted ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    they should be forged pistons in that lump

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Matte im sure you had a complete engine rebuild only recently? Maybe take it back to the guy who did the conversion...the guy from london wasn't it?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spec is in his sig

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had a rebuild on the old engine and the new. I got a new one because it had malhe pistons, steel rods, coscast, lightened fly ect. and was cheaper than doing it to my old.

The new engine was rebuilt as well 2 years ago, the person i brought it from had a car crash in another car and it just sat there for 2 years hence the reason for sale, it had only done 2k miles. It blew because last weekend fitted my new turbo with phase 4 and FSE.

Now it was 10 at night when we finished and we had problems with the turbo smoking, that turned out to be a blocked oil return pipe, but i left with not setting the FSE up, i tried playing with it during the week because it was stuck on 4 bar and should of been 2.9. But it didnt make any difference on the gauge. Anyway cause im an idiot i took the car to work for 2 days instead of the van, and well it wasent running right and i still drove it.

So blame me time. opps
    Tarox 10 Pots, Gaz Suspension, Steel Rods, Garret GT30RS, MSD 550's, 87mm Pistons, Custom Software, Quaffie Diff, Paddle. 407Hp @ 1.8 Bar

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    ouch.... kinda hard way to find out is it no... gutted for you tho.. hope you manage to fix it.
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sorry to hear it matey.

A new lump is on the cards then, I would personally take the turbo to be checked over. the last thing I would want to happen is to put in a new lump and find issues with the hybrid turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my sympathy goes out to you mate. 6 months ago my water pump chucked off my cambelt all my 8 inlet valves smacked crowns, it looked a similar mess, but it came through !

Looks like you might as well replace the lot to me

She Will Run Again with time, some cash and patience
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast