Thread: Manifold

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Manifold

hi does anyone out there know what the standard z20let manifold is made of as i am looking at buying some heat wrap but apparently you can't use it on cast iron manifolds any help would be great THANKS......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yep, its made of cast iron. Wrapping this manifold is a no-no as they do sometimes crack with the heat and wrapping it would only increase thie liklihood of this happening.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the best option for cast manifolds is to get them thermal barrier coated, basically cermaic coated. if done correctly this will reduce the heat transfer from the manifold to anything else around it. also it will keep more energy (ie heat) in the exhaust gasses and improve the reponce of the turbo.

its very comon in the states and works very well. also i recond it would be a good idea with the intake for the turbo running close to the manifold!

thanks Chris.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't coating it just do the same as the wrap? increase the temperature inside the manifold causing it to crack? Can always do your downpipe, something i intend to do once i get under the car. Saw something on that ceraminc coating not so long ago, looks very good, if i was fitting a different manifold then would consider having it done.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I 'think' that they actually coat the insides of the manifold, stopping the heat actually soaking into the cast iron, but I could be wrong!
    2006 Astra VXR on 19's in Arden Blue
    ExhaustsUK Catback, Eibach Sportlines, DS Ultima, Roose hose kit, Forge recirculating dump valve, Full self modded SMD conversion

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pretty sure they can...since i know they can coat the heads of pistons/valves etc...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    coating is big in america and i have seen on the net guy that have coated the whole of the combusion chambers!!! that was on a race motor but he said it all adds up!

yes there are horror stories kicking about about coating that have flaked off, but its like everything, you get what you pay for! if you have it done properally (and i hear alot is in the prep work or the surfaceto be coated) then you have little to worry about.

as for cracking, they say it reducses the chance as it reduce both thermal stress and also the friction of the hot exhaust gasses that can cause holes. these aren't problems with cast manifolds but i still think there would be gains!

thanks Chris.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah makes a bit more sense if its inside the manifold keeping the heat from transfering into the manifold.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep that would be ceramic coating of the inside of the combustion chamber and manifold - but what kind of power are you after Berryboy? unless it's 380bhp plus (which you can't be with the std manifold) you'd be better spending the cash elsewhere.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In this months fast ford they do a feature of a company who do this ceramic coating stuff, they also make exhaust for F1 teams and martin reylands cossie too, they said it costs around £300 to get something coated, but it doesn't say whether thats a whole exhaust or a manifold on its own.