Thread: wheel bearing hub

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wheel bearing hub

anyone know where there is a faq for changing these i bought one now just wondering what i have a head of me 2moz...

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get a Haynes!!!

It'll guide you through the procedure, including the very specific way you need to tighten the hub nut up (which should be replace incidentally)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did have one but dog got hold of it..... need i say more... was hoping for something online??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right ok just took it apart worked it for myself,,

2 things i want to ask,,

1. is the track rod end the thread just seems to keep turning so i can't tightern the nut.. this can't be normal is it?

2. the wheel bearing hub i bought is exact, except when i goto pop the cover over the nut to protect sure you know what i mean the cap is to small it seems they have changed the siz of the cap is this correct?

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1. You didn't need to disturb the track rod at all!!! do you mean the lower arm ball joint?

2. some have caps on, some don't - stick plenty of grease on when you refit and it should be OK.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    1. You didn't need to disturb the track rod at all!!! do you mean the lower arm ball joint?

2. some have caps on, some don't - stick plenty of grease on when you refit and it should be OK.
    i found it easier to remove the track rod end to help get the driveshaft out.. lower ball joint fine everything is in place, just the track rod end thread keeps turning.. so i just put lots of copper grease around the hub bolt..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robwillis69
    i found it easier to remove the track rod end to help get the driveshaft out.. lower ball joint fine everything is in place, just the track rod end thread keeps turning.. so i just put lots of copper grease around the hub bolt..
    They sometimes do, for the sake of the £6 they are, i'd swap it and get a new one.

As long as the nut has tightened up enough to hold the track rod end in place you should be ok.

If you swap the track rod end, count the number of turns it takes to remove it, and put the new one back on the same ammount. If it drives straight after you've swapped it your ok. But saying that, if its not been tracked for a year or so it's worth getting it done anyway (its suprising how quickly they go out)

Make sure everythings torqued up properly, IIRC the hub nut has to be tightened, loosened then tightened again, I cant remember to what torque off the top of hy head. The same goes for the 3 bearing to knuckle bolts
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    give it a tap from the back with soft faced hammer to push the spigot into the taper - that should grip it.

as above - torque settings are critical on all the bolts, as are renewing all the stretch bolts you've removed

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    umm i didn't bother with tourqeing them i just used a long extension bar but did go back and forth on the hub nut then added the safety clip.. everything is well secure,, do you think i will get away with this? also it looks like a new track rod end it just won't grip thread just keeps spinning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast