Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Strange noise coming from the engine

Evening all,

I have a 2002 1.8 that has developed a noise that sounds like a dry bearing, its a grinding wirring noise, it started a while back and has gradually got worse. I have run the car without the alternator belt on and the noise is still there, it sounded like it was coming from inside the cam belt casing so i had a new cam belt, cam belt tensioner/pully etc and new water pump fitted and its still the same, i've run out of ideas and was hoping someone might have some ideas?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Exclamation Astra coupe

I have an astra coupe bertone 2001, 48k miles, timing due at 55k, 1.8L petrol. I have the same sound, its a slightly crackly noise too, i thought bearing was collapsed in water pump but if that was the case then a sweet lot of damage may have occured. getting mechanic to look at it on thursday if anyone can put my mind at ease before then it would be great. it doesnt happen at idle but at around 1500revs or 2500revs. Most days she starts instantly but during last two weeks she takes a second (not a noticeable time but it is to me) to turn over and start. no other problems other than opel/vauxhall alloys are prone to losing their balancing weights!!!!

any help greatly appreciated!!

Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs Down update

ok not knowing if anyone is reading this but ill update anyway, got engine noise checked, alternator was suspected, belt changed and bearing is due to be replaced in it as it has play,cost 90 euro i dont have. outcome noise still there. Timing needs to be done now, so getting bearing done and cost of timing 370 euro, cost of bearing unknown. outcome = anyone please guess.

Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Smile Result

Noise gone, alternator tensioner was busted. Got timing done aswell and now she seems more perky than ever!!! Delighted!!! Anyway now i'm relaxed thank god

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad you got it sorted mate, although liiks like it cost you a bit, did they do the cam belt at the same time? mine turned out to be the water pump the guy who was supposed to have changed it in the first place hadn't actually done it, so i got someone else to fit another one and now its fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs Up Yup but.........

They sure did but the mechanic at the opel/vx dealers said he wasnt gonna do the timing until he found the noise, he said it would have bugged the sh*t outta him too if he had it. So he found it fixed it and phoned and said that if i want the timing done will he do it, she was at 48k with no timing done so i said do timing and water pump. all is good now, no one was posting on this thread so was gonna enquire did you ever sort it. glad you did bud. Lovin the astra now, and always thought i'd stay a performance corsa man!! ha