Thread: Rear Brake problems

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear Brake problems

My 2000 1.8 16v mk4 just failed the MOT yesterday on the handbrake only holding 6%!! I had got it tightened real tight before hand and it still failed!! the mot guy told me that the rear pads had been fitted with the springs removed!!I presume hes talking about the wee clothes peg like springs at the edge of the pads?therefore the pads arent working effectively and not springing back.

I have been since told it could be my calipers have give up the ghost so I need new ones and new cables but I find this hard to believe as it passed the braking (service brake as they call it) with no problems whatsoever!

Is it just case of getting the proper rear pads or is it indeed the calipers??
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have also noticed that when the car is parked on a hill there is creaking noise coming from the rear!! anybody know whats going on??
    Irmscher MK3 Astra Irmscher Mk4 SXi 1.8 16V Vectra C CDTi Astra H 1.7 CDTi XP Moonland SRi CDTi Sporthatch Astra VXR

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The creaking is the pads slipping, ie handbrake not holding.

DON'T park on hills!
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol I wont again or I will leave it in gear, if the handbrake aint holding could it be the pads incorrectly fitted or the rear calipers??anyone??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im more or less certain its the rear calipers that have give up the ghost, does anybody know if lucas calipers are a straight swap for my bosch ones and I can use the same pads????