Thread: Underneath car covers?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Underneath car covers?

Im not sure of the correct term/name for these, but I know the police use them, as well as military vehicles.

Basically, its a metal(or some other material) plate that stretches the whole length of the car (underneath)... meaning everything (engine, exhaust) is protected from going over bumps and dodgy ground.

Any ideas where these are sold, if they are.. i was consider making one out of a lightweight material, but have a feeling it would cost a bit.
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What would be the benefit of you having this fitted, if any? Your not going to be going cross country like an Army land rover would. Only thing you would really need would be a sump guard surely if yours was seriously low?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    What would be the benefit of you having this fitted, if any? Your not going to be going cross country like an Army land rover would. Only thing you would really need would be a sump guard surely if yours was seriously low?
    the benifit is just to protect from speedbumps really..

i went over one speedbump, it broke my radiator, my flexijoint, my precat, and caused endless days of having no car, so just want some kind of protection.

Around here, theyre putting more and more speedbumps up really. It could be overkill, just seems a good idea if it wouldnt cost too much
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah right, so you really thinking for the front then? Material costs shouldn't be too bad, but the planning of it will be a ball ache. You'd have to weld on mounting points, might need to think about any stress you place on whatever its mounted too. Must be a hefty speed bump to have taken out your rad.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcoupturbo
    Ah right, so you really thinking for the front then? Material costs shouldn't be too bad, but the planning of it will be a ball ache. You'd have to weld on mounting points, might need to think about any stress you place on whatever its mounted too. Must be a hefty speed bump to have taken out your rad.
    yea, i can imagine the fabrication would be a pain. If i could get the car up on ramps, or copy a pattern, it may be easier. Do they use them for the touring car coupes at all?

And yea, the speedbump is a pain in the arse. Its not that big, but its just a solid block of concrete with no ramp up or down.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    complain to your LA about it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    think i saw these been sold on ebay, but they only cover the engine bay not the whole length of the car
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the part is a "skid plate" or "sump guard" you will need to contact a rally place

if you do find some give me a shout cause i would have one

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need a rally sump guard, but that'll reduce your ground clearance even further.

There are two options, to do with speed and ride height, but you won't want to hear those!
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper
    You need a rally sump guard, but that'll reduce your ground clearance even further.

There are two options, to do with speed and ride height, but you won't want to hear those!
    well, its only the odd speedbump that gives me issues, how thick are the sump guards then? Atleast it would be protected, but i can see your point