Thread: Knock, knock, you keep on knocking...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Knock, knock, you keep on knocking...

Since I got my car, there's been a knocking noise coming from somewhere near the back. I've had the car since last September when it had about 32k on the clock. Back then, it was only a slight rattle.

Now, with 50k on the clock, the knocking is very much pronounced, and clearly coming from both sides of the car at the back.

Last week, a third knocking noise appeared, so today I spent most of the afternoon trying to source the noises:

1. First the new knocking noise was identified - one of the bolts on my Whiteline rear ARB had snapped. Whole ARB with brackets removed until that can be fixed. Third knocking noise now gone.

2. Removed recently fitted Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers. Refitted original Vauxhall items. Knocking noises still present.

3. Removed whole interior from car, down to the shell from back seats to the boot lid. Knocking noises louder (obviously).

4. Checked everything underneath including exhaust, all pipes and cables, even to the extent of stuffing everything with foam to stop things moving. Considering the noises happen at even just creeping along I didn't think this would be the problem, and I was right. Noise still present.

So, I've come to the conclusion that the rubber mounts on the beam are shot. Considering the previous owner did quite a bit of towing with the car, is it likely that the rubbers have gone? They look OK but it's difficult to tell without removing the beam.

Should I be looking at getting a new set of Powerflex bushes and having them fitted when the car is in getting MOT preps in Jan?
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Towing, within the car's towing limit, shouldn't have any adverse effects on the axle beam mounting bushes, or any other part of the rear suspension.

Is the towbar still fitted to the car? They're fitted with spacers inside the chassis box section which often get lost, can't be easily recovered and rattle forever.

Check that the tailgate "adjustment rubbers" are set properly as that can cause knocking.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's not the tailgate, I've had it totally to bits, and it's not moving on the rubbers either. Good point about the spacers - the tow bar has been removed before I got the car.

Maybe a load of wax down the frame would stick the rattling item down?
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...