Thread: Exhaust Springs?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Springs?

What are these for? they go on the backbox side of the flang where the back box meets the centre section. when i put my remus pipe on i couldn't compress to get the bolt through them enough so i left them off and spaced the exhaust out with nuts. now my MOT is looming and i need to put my cat on and original middle box. (took the old lot off as one rather than split the seal between the cat and the middle box.)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They are there to allow the bolt to not be tight, if it was tight the doughnut shaped gasket between the 2 pipes would be crushed out of shape, so the springs allow the bolt to be fitted so the 2 metal flanges don't meet but because of the tension of the springs they can't come loose.

That's my theory on it anyway
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers for that any tips for compressing them to get them back on?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you're using the correct length of bolt, it'll start on it's thread before compressing the spring.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its because the remus centre uses a nut welded to the back of the flange rather then the original where the flange itself is threaded, cut 1 coil off the springs to help the bolts start. The oe bolts are shouldered to prevent over tightening

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Had the same problem with my remus, rite bugger to get the bolts in, as previous post either cut a coil off the springs or i found some slightly shorter springs to use, they are needed so you don't overtighten the joint and so it can flex on the sealing ring
    HIGHDOWN Car Audio & Security
    Clifford, Genesis, Rockford, CDT Audio

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd find a longer bolt and compress one side until you can engage the other side with the OE bolt, then remove the long bolt and replace with the OE bolt.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i had this problem i compressed the springs using a bench vice, then i whacked some cable ties round them as best i could to keep them compressed, managed to give myself just enough to get the bolt started on the thread tyhen i cust the cable ties off so the spring could do its job properly, and obviously tighjtened the bolts up fully after the cable ties were gone, otherwise they would never have come off

its a bit tricky and fiddly doing it that way, but i wasn't bright enough to think about choppuing off a coil