Thread: Fitting Horn Switch - Advice please?

Rosco83

Question Fitting Horn Switch - Advice please?

Hey Guys,

First of all, this in not to an Astra. Nor a Vauxhall. But i hope you can offer some advice. I havent tried it yet but i'd like to install a dash mounted push button switch for the horn in my Toyota MR2.

With the steering wheel off, there was one wire coming from the column for the horn, and i guess the earth was part of the assembly. Would i be right in thinking that all i would need is a switch on that one wire plus an earth?? Its a factory horn so still has the relay & wiring etc. I just wish to add a dash mounted switch.

Any help is much appreciated guys (im not too clued up on auto electrics)

Ross

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Shouldn't there be a fuse for the horn? If so if you find what wire actually goes to the steering wheel and then either cut it or piggy back it to a switch.

That way the factory horn still works (MOT) and the switch will work as well and they will both be controlled by the same fuse.

Rosco83
    Yeah there is a fuse for the horn, and a relay. Theres nothing wrong with the horn at all. Just that i have fitted a new steering wheel and the boss i have used is slightly diferent so i want to wire a switch for the horn elsewhere (on dash). I have the 1 sole wire that went to the original steering wheel from the column. I assume thats a positive and the actual steering column was the earth...

Now if i attach a push button to that wire, and then an earth to somewhere esle... am i right in thinking that will work just fine?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Yes your right in thinking that will work.

With only one wire going up to the factory horn it will be negative switched
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Rosco83
    Thanks Autosparks, kinda hoped you'd be along to set me straight. Got a switch in the post so should be very easy to sort. Thanks for all the help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Piece of piss to fit - I did this mod on my Astra not so long ago as wasnt impressed with the push button on the aftermarket wheel so a nice chrome jobby adorns the dash!

What kinda switch u goin for?

Rosco83
    Its just a plain sealed push button switch. Small black bezel with a red, kind of "soft touch" rubberised centre button. My car is red and ive gone for red & black subtle detailing inside, refurbished gearknob with black leather & red stitching. Which is the same as the gear & handbrake gators (which a friend makes) and now the steering wheel with red TRD (Toyota Racing Development) centre. Wanted to keep it pretty simple but cool at same time. Will put up a pic when its done i suppose