Thread: amp in a glovebox

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

amp in a glovebox

if i was to put an amp in my glovebox? would it be alright to to cut most of the back of the glovebox away? will this give the amp substancial cooling air or not? it dont matter as you wont be able to see the back of the glovebox anyway as i will be moulding it in anyways!
    is there any other possible ways to do this or has anyone else done this?
    if it helps its a genesis profile 2 amp and has built in fans!
    thanks
    Got XBOX LIVE? Gimme a game!
    Gamertag: DOGBOY14

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's little, if any, air circulation around the glovebox as the lower dash / footwell trim panel closes off the area. It would improve things if that trim panel is removed, it's hardly visible anyway.

In theory, you could attach a small pipe to the heater / air-con ducting and use that to cool your amp. Cavalier mk3 with air-con had a refrigerated glovebox and I'm sure I recall a mod to achieve similar effect in an Astra.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got a 4channel alpine amp mounted in the lower part of the glove box cut the back out and its mounted upsidedown because it wouldnt fit the correct way and to be honest it barley gets warm

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same as AutoSRi - I have a four channel Alpine amp in the bottom of my glovebox - tricky getting it in there all wired up (it was very snug) but no problems with the circulation. Only gets slightly warm sometimes.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This amp has a dimensions of 38 x 217 x 300mm and you have to leave some space for the cables, says 50mm. I am not sure you can fit it into the grovebox!
    Air circulation is expected to be bad if the heated air is not able to escape fast enough.
    What not consider putting it under the front passanger seat?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i fitted mine i couldent get it to fit with the RCAs plugged into the so all i did was take the bottom cover off the amp and soldered some wires onto the pins inside the amp then made them into trailing leads now the amp fits like a glove as said its a sod to connect everything up

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    I wouldn't recommend fitting an amp like that INTO a glovebox. As stated above, there's not enough air circulation within the dash.

If you are dead set on fitting the amp in the dash though, you could always cut out the back of the glovebox completely so you in effect only have the front panel of the 'box left. Fit the amp in the space where the glovebox goes, and use a 12v fan (wired to the amp's remote lead) and an air duct to take air in/out from behind the dash. Then simply fix the glovebox front onto the front of the hole in your dash (I'd screw it on so you can have access to the amp in future if I were you). You shouldn't have any problems with air circulation or excess heat with this setup.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i fitted an amp in my glove box in my old astra and had no probs at all, all i done was cut out a section of the back to fit a 12v fan. and cut another hole on the other side as an exit for the air which was being sucked in. easy job

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if your running big power its better to have it somewhere that has higher ventilation...

or you could cut holes in the back of your gloebox and run some 12V fans...

but it all depends what kinda setup your going for...btw class D amps are more effecient and radiate less heat

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got an alpine amp in my glove box, I was intending to fit two PC fans to keep it cool, but it hardly evey gets warm. After a few hours of driving it gets slighty hot
    Sold my Astra to buy a house.

Now drive a 205 GTI 2.0 16v

Cheap and Chearfull!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast