Thread: confidence in driving?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

confidence in driving?

Im very confident in driving, but i think im a little too confident.

i havent had any formal lessons of yet, only been out with parents/brother.

had a near miss this morning whilst driving into work, which didnt seem to phase me, but my mom was nearly in tears.

i turned a corner from a main road to a side road with someone walking across the road, i didnt hit him, but i didnt see him until i was round the corner, even when my mom was shouting watch the bloke i didnt see him.

my moms confidence took a nock, but i just laughed it off, as i didnt hit him.

What were u like learning? any near misses?

should i be nervous like everyone else i see? i dont want to be a nervous driver.

thoughts?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its not goodtoo be nervouse, but by the sounds of it mate and reading your other threads, i think youve been driving like 5times now or similar, not had any proper lessons, i would say dont you dare drive untill you had a few proper lessons as they are wat count, the instructor can stop the car if he needs too yet your mum cant. id say take that as a hint maybe sto have some lessons with a proper driving instructor before you go out in your car again.

being nervouse is a bad thing as your mind strays but being too confident is bad too, its about neither, its about feeling comfortable not confident if you get me!

i had 12 lessons before my mum took me out, then i passed after my 15th... took me 3 months and passed first time with 2 minors. just take it easy, its not a rush, i know you wanna get out in your car, but when your driving its not just you that can crash its other people that walk out into the road and not look. etc etc etc etc the list goes on, theres more to driving than there appears to be when you first start.
    ASTRA COUPE 2.2 16V, FULL CAT BACK EXHAUST AND DBLIAS FLOWMASTER KIT!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You are going to make errors like that when learning, its all part of the process. Just try not to hit people tho ;-)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was never really a confident driver til i passed my test
    But as above I would strongly recommend you take some actual lessons with a professional...
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I think theres too many over confident drivers.

The attitude "ahhh its ok I've been at this speed down this road many times and nothings ever happened".

I see countless topics on here "I ripped up this road" or "I raced this car" etc ... then I see topics like this or ones where folk have crashed and the people who write the "I ripped/raced a car" etc then post in it saying "yea speeding is bad"....

/ramble rant etc
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah... im not gonna be speeding or anything, i mean, i have been the past day or 2, as im not 100% used to keeping to 30mph at the moment, so i have hit 40 on 30's and ive been down at 20 in 30's...

that should come with practise and knoing the car i imagine.

I dunno, as ive stewed at work for a little bit, i think my confidence has taken a little nock, and i feel bad, i know that my moms gonna be even more nervous getting int he car with me now. so thats gonna put me more on edge when im driving and less relaxed.

well either way, i get nocked down, but i get up again. if i stopped driving everytime my confidence took a nock, id never get driving. so onwards and upwards.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    My missus wanted me to teach her to drive. But I said no as I value my relationship too much. I'd hate for anyone to be learning to drive in my car and I'd be a nervous wreck.

I wouldn't worry about it. Put it down to experience and move on. When you first learn to drive your using all your energy by simply trying to keep the car running and keeping under 30 and changing gear at the right time. with practice this will become second nature and you'll be able to take in whats happening around you alot more easier.

We all make mistakes, I stalled the car yesterday its just something that happens just do the right thing and then move on.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get some lessons booked, then you can see what the instructer says anyway.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    By the sounds of it you should really be investing in some proper lessons before you start going out in a car where nobody else has controls. At least until you can drive at a consistent speed and are more observant, all things that an instructor will teach you correctly. They'll also tell you when you are good enough to be driving with a parent etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree! lessons is best, you can pick up other peoples bad habits otherwise without realising, habits that would fail you in a test! Best to get proper lessons before you pick up bad habbits of your own its difficult too break a habit once you've started it.
    SXI Cheeky Bird!
    2003 1.6 16v Black!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast