AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

After nearly 3 years of waiting, finally I get my Astra

1st post

Ok, a bit of back story first.

My Dad got a job working for this company around 98 and for a starting company car they gave him a brand new Astra Sport 1.8 16v (I have never seen another "sport" model before, so background info on this type would be interesting and nice) which he had for about 2 years before he got a new car. A few months later my mum became unemployed and lost her company car and stayed unemployed for a while so my dad gave her the Astra, then she got a new job, leaving nobody to drive it when I was about 16.

The car sat in my drive, until my 17th birthday when I was presented with a speed camera picture of the car and told it was mine and that I was to fix it up and sell it so I could buy a car. I didn't want to do this however, so I let the car sit in my drive whilst I drove a L reg VW Golf, which had so many problems with it it was unbelievable.

Fast forward to October this year, 19 years and I'm sat in my car realising my MOT ran out exactly a week later, and knowing for sure it'd fail horribly, anyway I take it to get MOT'd and like I thought, it fails horribly and so it's decided that I get the Astra insured and fixed up to drive ASAP.

Quotes are in the £1200-£1400 range and right indicator wont turn off once turned on, my granddad suggests I get it insured in his name and have me as named driver, which took the insurance down to £250!!

However I still had this indicator problem and was recommended that I should buy a new stalk, which I did and it didnt solve my problem (£20 down the drain) and so yesterday I took it to the garage and told them to fix it then put it through MOT.

Well, it failed its MOT, cut in tire, headlamp broken, one light too low, number plate dodgy, no grip pad on break and new indicator relay. Oh and middle seat belt removed because it didnt work (they said "if it's not there, we dont have to test it" so they took it out instead of replacing) and that came to around £285 inc. MOT and 2 hours labour.

All I need now is tax, which I'll pay for with the £100 im getting for my golf (it's not work £10 nevermind £100!) and finally, a month short of my 20th birthday I finally get to legally drive my baby.

Sorry for such a long post, but I've waited nearly 3 years to be able to drive this car and I'm rather excited if I say so myself.

I'm definately going to start modding my astra, so expect a few newbie questions from me in the future. Thanks for reading if you bothered to get this far

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lets hope you don't run into any more problems now matey...drive safe!!

get some picis up aswell so we can see

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome and get some pics up!!
    ASTRA COUPE 2.2 16V, FULL CAT BACK EXHAUST AND DBLIAS FLOWMASTER KIT!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cool, what reg is the car, presume a mk3 model?

Be careful tho on your insurance, thats not the best way to insure a car and insurance companies are funny buggers nowadays and should they find out youd be hit hard

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    at last !

welcome, have a good look around, search for things, and never be afraid to ask !

Got any pics

Gregg, it'll be a mk4

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_shabzzz
    lets hope you don't run into any more problems now matey...drive safe!!

get some picis up aswell so we can see
    Ah pictures how could I forget, I've only got ones from a few months back where I was made to clean it by my dad ha. First few pics show how dirty it got (living next to field = car became spiders home) then after the first bit of water. After that I spent ages t-cutting and polishing it but took no pics. You can see my wonky numberplate (no idea why its like that) and you can also see my POS golf.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jeeez at the families of wing mirror spiders !!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO
    Jeeez at the families of wing mirror spiders !!!!
    yeah it was a nightmare to clean all the crap off it, took around 3 hours to get it nice and shiney. I'll take more tomorrow when I get it back from the garage, time and light permitting.

Some swines cut one of my tires (rear, can see in pic) whilst my family and I were away for the weekend at my cousins wedding. They also broke into my golf and tried ripping my speakers out of the parcel shelf!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good jub cleaning it...but give it a good polish and wax and it will come out luvvly

ripped tyres? maybe an excuse to upgrade tyres/alloys

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to the site mate.

Looks like it cleaned up OK, can see why it took a while

plenty of modding questions have been asked before, so always have a go with the search function

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast