Thread: Uprated +/- cable query

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uprated +/- cable query

As some of u might be aware I picked up a brand new 120A Vx alternator for the princely sum of £50 on good old ebay, I will be gettin a 72Ah battery in the near future and plan to upgrade the whole installation, new drive belt etc.

The only concern is what cabling do I need to upgrade and what kind to get? Also where is the best place to get it from & costing etc.

I read that its a good idea to upgrade the earth cables (from the battery to the body & the alternator to body) but which +ve cables do I upgrade.

Dont just wanna whack on 2 brand new uprated components and find they suffer voltage drop due to knackered OE cables.

No major ICE setup here - just want all the electrics in tip top condition .

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's obviously worth replacing any cabling which has deterioated but the main benefit of a higher powered alternator isn't the increase in peak power but the increase in output lower down the rev range.

The main +ve cable is from battery +ve to starter solenoid connection and on to the alternator. I don't know if it's available as a single part or whether you'd need a big chunk of loom as well.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I'd recomend upgrading all the cables to the alternator with 4 guage, do the earths aswell while your at it
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a little update - had a brief look into the wiring today and it looks fairly straight forward on my humble 8valver - just a case of replacing the OE cables for some topnotch copper stuff.

Whats the going rate for 4AWG ? Halfords (although Id never go there) have it for a whopping 6.99/mtr - Ive seen 5mtrs on ebay for £11.99 - seems a good deal if ya ask me. Will probs need a few meters each of red and black, new terminal blocks and ring terminals etc.

Would I need a heavy duty crimper for this 4AWG as doubt my standard ones are upto the job - or could I use crimp-free fixings

Can anyone give a rough guide on price for the above?

Battery is gonna set me back £53+vat from Vx so that'll have to wait till next month.