Thread: Is it worth keeping my car?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is it worth keeping my car?

The way im thinking at the moment is i need more power. I have a 2 Litre 16V X20XEV Jobbie and although it is fairly quick all it has done has left me wanting more, (coming from a 1.6 8V )

So here is where the prbolem lies, Do i:

A) Spend a fair amount of money (maybe 2-3K possibly) on the car and try and get the most out of it, which would maybe be 200Bhp at a HIGHLY Highly optimistic push...

Or

B) Sell up in a few months and buy something a bit faster, Thinking along the lines of Coupe Turbo or SRi-T. (sell my car and put another 3-4K on top)

The only problem for me is insurance, with 3 points and one accident and being 19 its very hard for people to take me seriously

I phoned up my insurance the other night to add my Girlfriend to my policy and while i was on the phone i enquired (for a giggle) about a Zafira GSi. only an Extra £200 a year , i totally forgot to ask about the Coupe turbo though so i have nothing to compare it to

But anyway, what would you lot say makes the best financial and just common sense for me at the moment, as i am truly stumped?

Any views appreciated

and some of the car for good luck

EK9 Type R

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm I would keep it myself mate, know how tempting it can be to get a turbo, I would have1 now if it hadnt of been for me having an accident! wounder for me was, it happened 1wk b4 getting 4years no claims so lost the lot!

Keep it, save the money & either drop a turbo lump in, or buy a coupe in a couple of years when your 21?

Sure plenty people would disagree, but just kills me paying more insurance & if I was in your position, wouldnt want2 be paying more! If you dont mind me asking how much you paying at present?
    Astra Coupe - Linea Rossa

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u spend 3 k on it mate u will not get to much of that back when u come to sell it plus to insure that sort of moding it will prob cost u more than a turbo car or a least round about the same

if i was u i would sell up and go for the coupe or sri turbo , dont forget about the gsi turbo
    click here for quality used vauxhall parts

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im paying about £1200 mark at the moment, which to be fair is very good considering its not changed since last year on my 8 valver haha.

Finlay my boy i havent ruled it out entirely, Just quite alot of people have them and they are still rather expensive.

I think what your saying Linea does make sense. i keep forgetting that im quite young compared to all my mates who are driving turbo this Type-r that Lol just a pup ah well pleanty time yet.

Do you think a Lexmaul manifold is a worthwile purchase for the car? it doesnt come cheap mind you
    EK9 Type R

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Know what you mean about needing more power. With me im not gonna chuck money at a smallblock 1.8 cos it aint gonna cut it. C20let mk1 astra project is being planned Cant wait to get going!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    thats a Ex Mark DJ car ? looking at that plate
    i will say its easyer cheaper to sell up an buy a turbo car in the long run
    that way your start with 190bhp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah it is marks old car, then Chris then me Lol
    EK9 Type R

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Tune the x20xev

they have been doing it for years on the mk3 gsi, vectra, omega yet the mk4 they are rarley touched and junked in favor of z20 let. Only highly tuned mk4 x20xev I have seen was lotus astra's do a search for him and youll get a idea on the spec he had.

If you do junk the engine, let me know as Im still in need of driveshafts

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's all well and good saying "I can afford the car and the insurance" but, can u afford to run it?

£190 a year tax
    LOTS on ur insurance excess if u do have a crash/bump
    £££ fuel bill
    More things to go wrong with the car, turbo, AFM etc

+ other things too.

Plus, is it worth it? or is it better to wait a year or two, surely ur car isnt that bad.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remember a zaffy gsi is less desirable to steal than a hatch/coupe (little do the tea leafs know)

..so get your quote on a hatch/coupe turbo - that will make your mind up for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast