Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter

Nasty, nasty scammers :-(

Well, at least thats what I think it is...

Heres the story. About an hour ago, I called Vodafone to get a text balance for what I have used on my contract so far this month, basically so I can budget for the bill when it comes in. Text comes within seconds saying so far this month, I have used £194.98 inc VAT (bear in mind, my last bill was paid on the 20th November and my normal bill is approx £70 for the month).

Obviously, Im straight on the phone to Vodafone to find out what the fluffing hell is going on, and they tell me that on Sunday evening (26th Nov) I called a random island just off of Africa 4 times between 5.25pm and 9.05pm, with a call to my mum in between. Now for most of Sunday evening, I was painting my hallway, so how the hell was I supposed to call a place the quarter the size of the Isle of Wight near Africa??? Vodafone gave me the number, which my friend rung for me (Ive now asked for a call bar to be put on my number to abroad calls) and it just sounds like a fax number with that high pitched squeak.

I told the woman that there was no way I had made those calls, but she said that the ID number of the handset matched mine, so there was no doubt that the calls were made from my phone.

Just called OFCOM to put in a complaint, and the guy there told me to get a written letter done to Vodafone telling them they MUST investigate this as there is no way Im going to be paying a whopping bill like that just before christmas.

Watch this space, I will keep you posted as to what happens

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ooh ouch, she probably fed you the handset Id bollocks thinking you'll go "oh its all too technical, i'll beleive them".

Good luck with sorting it out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ouch. So, how could your phone have made those calls?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fax number... got bluetooth? maybe someone used i as a dialing device esp. if it sounds like a fax, so they called from the phone?

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    After doing a bit of research, there is a possibility that a text came through on my sons phone (he had no credit) telling him he had won 'blah blah blah', he rung the number, which then gets re-directed to the scammers who charge up to £15 a min

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you leave your bluetooth on?

if so, that could be the problem

these days, certain phones with bluetooth enabled allow people to connect to your phone and dial numbers without you knowing..

scary stuff
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET
    After doing a bit of research, there is a possibility that a text came through on my sons phone (he had no credit) telling him he had won 'blah blah blah', he rung the number, which then gets re-directed to the scammers who charge up to £15 a min
    didnt think they could charge £15 a min?

thought the max was £1.50, sure i read that somewhere the other day :s
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How Old Is Ur Son!?!?!?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's the bluetooth possibility. The other that springs to mind is more technical to pull off but actually not that difficult to explain.

You know how the handset has a number called an IMEI which identifies it? That's how they bar your phone if it gets stolen - the IMEI is blacklisted.

There's a similar number which identifies the SIM card (and hence the mobile phone account) called an IMSI. If someone else produces a card with the same IMSI, their calls will go on your bill. Thing is, any sensible mobile phone network shouldn't allow two phones with the same IMSI to register on the network, so I don't know how that happened (unless your handset was turned off at the time... or vodafone's network isn't very sensible )

Alternatively (and I'm thinking far more likely), there's a glitch of some sort in Vodafone's billing system. Very believable, as the way billing works for contract mobile phones is really complicated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shitting hell..£15 a minute..i would tell them to fluck themselfs
    Addicts dont do cocaine...They merely just like the smell of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast