Thread: Down on Power

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Down on Power

Went to a Corsa Sport rolling road day Sunday as my mechanic was involved in organising it.

The place was Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon, there rollers are by far the best I have ever seen, the grip on the rollers is mad and the fan without going OT could probably blow u over if you stood next to it. To give you some idea the cars where going in dripping wet from rain and coming out bone dry!

Anyway my car made 260bhp and 311ftlbs as u can see below. Now the problem was pointed out by the operator straight away and said i should be able to feel this on the road which i can.
    It is after 5 - 5.5k rpm power/torque is all over the place and just drops in a big way, now i have posted before about my boost not being right after 5k rpm.

The guy there basically said this is down to a bad map on the car and after 5k rpm the car is leaning out and the ECU is trying to compensate this by throwing a load of fuel in and backing boost off. He said if this was not happening the car should be making anywhere between 280-300bhp.

Anyway after speaking to my mechanic he said i should have a word with the guys as they do Live Mapping.
    After a bit of a chat with the owner he said he could live map the car no problem and was so confident the car would be much better that if i was not happy when i got the car back i would not have to pay a penny. He said i am not promising more power but the car without a doubt will be faster on the road because of the way and where the power is produced.

I am tempted to go down this route as Perfect Touch is not all that far from me and the guys there could not have been more helpful. The owner also mentioned he did not advertise anywhere all his work is done through recommendations and that i should look on the skyline and fiat coupe forums. I had a little look and it seems people cannot praise them enough.

Live mapping is £450+VAT and they said the would could need the car up to 2 days as they will not give the car back until as far as they are concerned it is perfect but normally done in a day.

I am not 100% what to do, what do guys think?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    totally normal for the z20let to dump fuel at high rpm, the ecu dumps fuel to try and cool pistons especially when there is a high intake temp...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Watching this keenly as i have the sma eproblems with my eds map and im very local to hoddesdon
    Zaffy VXR on the beat

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblueraven
    totally normal for the z20let to dump fuel at high rpm, the ecu dumps fuel to try and cool pistons especially when there is a high intake temp...
    Looking at other peoples graphs there not up and down like that. Also from a thread i start last week people on simlar setup to me are holding 19psi to the redline where mine after 5k rpm drops to 13psi.

On the road it is very noticable the lake of power after 5k rpm up until that point it is quite an animal.
    Not sure what charge temps would have been but it was a cold day and the fan at Perfect Touch is capable of something like 120mph head winds

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have a 4wd dyno cell, with a fan capable of 120mph headwind! And also proper extraction fans!!
    This fan would probably blow you over if you stood in front of it!

Also check the grip on these rollers

Heres a pic of my highest BHP

Another advantage at these rollers, is the wideband lambda monitoring and also Det Cans

Picture of my car in action

Picture of the speedo

The mr2 i mean 355 that was on the rollers after me

Another one of the mr2

Heres one of my BHP graphs plotted against the Ferrari.
    Mine being the one in the red and the Ferrari being blue.
    Also note that the operator let off at 5500RPM

Heres the Torque graph as well,
    My car being the red again, and letting off at 5500RPM

You can see why i dont have any trouble with them on the road
    MK4 GSi & SRi-T

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I feel this is to do with regals maps... I don't want to start off arguments lol Every Regal map i've seen the power peaks 5-5.5k... Thats pretty damn useless! The only graph I like is the courtenay stage 4, flat torque curve and holds up the top end...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu
    I feel this is to do with regals maps... I don't want to start off arguments lol Every Regal map i've seen the power peaks 5-5.5k... Thats pretty damn useless! The only graph I like is the courtenay stage 4, flat torque curve and holds up the top end...
    Yep i agree. When driving hard thats where the power is needed. I have just always felt from looking at other peoples graphs mine is just all over the place after 5k and you can really feel this on the road.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thing is it could be down to lots of things from a poor map to a dodgy actuator... But I wouldn't be happy with that either. Have you checked out the stage 4 graphs from courtenay?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu
    Thing is it could be down to lots of things from a poor map to a dodgy actuator... But I wouldn't be happy with that either. Have you checked out the stage 4 graphs from courtenay?
    Yep i understand that something maybe causing the problem. But everthing seems fine up an till that point. I have tried a different AFM and monitored sensors to see if there saying off readings but everything seems ok.

I suppose if there is a problem somewhere else they will find it if they map it anyway.

I just like the idea of a tuner not to far away and one that is so helpful. The guy that writes the maps has a 950bhp skyline and is a trained Raliart mechanic so does alot more than just map cars.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaniboy
    Yep i understand that something maybe causing the problem. But everthing seems fine up an till that point. I have tried a different AFM and monitored sensors to see if there saying off readings but everything seems ok.

I suppose if there is a problem somewhere else they will find it if they map it anyway.

I just like the idea of a tuner not to far away and one that is so helpful. The guy that writes the maps has a 950bhp skyline and is a trained Raliart mechanic so does alot more than just map cars.
    What actuator have you got? Just the VXR one or an uprated one?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast