Thread: re-wiring a car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

re-wiring a car

well im getting shot of the whole interior loom and was wondering what would be required to have just the basic funtions i only want lights wipers indicators rear heated screen and speedo and poss tacho

any gen would be great...

cheers sim
    check my coupe out here been track prep'd!!
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80984

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id say yu would be worse off mate, and it would look extreamly messy, for the weight reduction i think you ould be better spending your time doing something else mate

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why would it be messy... has the only wiring you would possibly see is for the rear lights, fuel pump and the battery... looks a shit tip now with loom everywhere unused etc...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH I am failing to understand what you are trying to achieve by removing the excess loom? Well aside from creating a massive job for yourself with little or no overall benefit. Shit tip or not who is going to see the excess looms and at least most of it is tied up and not visible unless you are planning to strip the car and have no interior trim.

I think an explantaion is in order on what you plan is and why you want to do it?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well theres three reason really..

1 another member on here needs my loom to make his engine conversion work

2 there is no interior trim in my car only the dash thats it and would like to make it pleasing to the eye not just quick and wires everywhere doesnt do it for me

3 there is some weight saving to gain has when i removed the engine loom that weighed a fair bit too..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie69
    well theres three reason really..

1 another member on here needs my loom to make his engine conversion work

2 there is no interior trim in my car only the dash thats it and would like to make it pleasing to the eye not just quick and wires everywhere doesnt do it for me

3 there is some weight saving to gain has when i removed the engine loom that weighed a fair bit too..
    Lets address your points one by one...

1) the member will be better off with the complete loom as you may end up removing somethinghe may need.

2) most of the spare looms sit behind the dash and under the front seat so will be out of the way. But if you must them you will have to trace back and start removing stuff. Trust me when I tell you it will be a good few days work to get it right.

3) weight saved no more than 5kg to 10kg especally if the dash remains complete i.e. airbags etc and you are using the seats etc

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    theres nothing left off the dash other than speedo clocks and centre console all heating airbags etc removed

your right about the wiring been hidden in the fronts but with the front carpets gone theres wiring all over the floor..
    i.e for heated seats airbags and the like...

tracing the wires back will definatly be a bitch of a job hence why i want to re-wire everthing so can just take it all out and start a fresh....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Reggie having done this a few times on other makes I would suggest taking your loom out and passing it on to the member who wants your loom. Get a new loom and use that for the car, for whatever engine you are running. Now then start to trace back and remove any bits you do not need. When everything is complete run the loom in braided hose/split hose, heatshrink ends and job is a good one. Last car I did took a little over 3 weeks to do. Measuring the complete wiring we reckoned it was just over 30 miles worth and when we finished just under 19 miles. Some bits had us scratching our heads for a day or to figuring out what to remove and what not, but remember take you time and get it right first time as once it is all back it is very difficult to redo.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the adive i wanted to simple run everything off a fuse box and relays and flick swtich but where i think ii will have problems is the rear lights has there is like 5 wires to each side...
    same again with the fronts other than that i think i will be ok and yes proberly will take a month todo...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I've removed the exess loom that wasn't required before on a race bike.

The easiest way I found was to get the plug that wasn't needed and trace it back until you can cut it off

If you want to think about giving your loom to someone else who needs it I think you would then be best to go via a stand alone ECU as unless you get the exact same loom back the chances are your car won't run

Yes either way can be a pain of a job but when is anything that simple ......
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast