Thread: Rough Zlet/Blue Smoke

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rough Zlet/Blue Smoke

Went to see a Coupe Turbo, it was quite cheap, so wasn't expecting much. The guy selling it is a private dealer, and this was a part-x.

The car is high mileage, 84k, on a 2001. Has a Vx history, but the vauxhall monkey's haven't ticked what they've done on the service, just stamped the book. Should've had 2 cambelts by my knowledge.

Anyway the mileage tallies, but it'll got a little bit of a rough idle, has got an aftermarket exaust, but its like its missing every now and then, i'm thinking amm, or dirty TB.

If its left to idle it doesn't smoke, but if you rev it, let off, and then rev it you get a puff of blue smoke. That says to me turbo, rings, or valve stem oil seals.

On my Clet turbo it belched out blue smoke when it was hot, at idle, and decelleration, and that was seals.

So i've left it for the time being, but asked him to get a comp check, and let me know the results. Now i had a 30k ZLET and never did a comp check so whats a good reading, 175 on all 4?

Good outcome, its the turbo, i get it for cheaper, and stick a vxr turbo on. The pulling left is just tracking.

Bad outcome, rings, or vsos, and bent suspension.

Any Gen?
    It also pulls left, but asked for tracking.
    There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.

Stirling Moss.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depends how cheap cheap is?

What was the body work like?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It could be tracking but it could be a bent steering nuckle, leg anything.
    It would really need to be cheep and the parts that are damaged would be on my plan list to be changed anyway.
    Turbos aint renown fo lasting on z20let's at the best of times if nowts ticked off i could even mean a fake history the previous owner could have done a back hander and got the history stamped up.

The dealers name should be on the service record, I would be tempted to check if it has been service by them. I would guess there would be some sort of other record of cars service by them.
    All of this might land you lucky or could end up with a major money pit.
    Your choice though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the details of the vauxhall garage who serviced it upto 60k, so gonna call them monday as they'll have it on the computer.

I saw it on the bike so no jacks, etc, so if i go again it'll be in a car with tools.

£4k for a smokey 84k coupe, in blue(europa). It has 2 small parking dinks, and a small bit of wear on the drivers seat, a-la-sports seats, and not leather.

Stirling Moss.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PS, anyone know the std good compression test figures for a ZLET??

185?

Stirling Moss.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think 185. No idea what the number is but remember reading it somewhere recently. Not much help really...