Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Car Safety - Euro NCAP.

Does anyone pay attention to this?

Just been watching a repeat of Top Gear on UKTV-G2, the one with Neil Morrisey in the reasonably priced car.

Anyhow they were showing several crashed cars, giving the NCAP rating of each and showing what the cabin was like after a crash into a solid object. (Deformable wall).

Anyhow, it really opened my eyes, it showed a new Toyota Avensis which is a 5star (Best) NCAP car. The cars cabin was not deformed at all, pedals in the correct place, steering column hadnt moved, seat was in original position, door was openable as it was before the crash.

Then it showed other cars, new Ford Fiesta, 4star door was openable but not as easy as the Avensis, but overall cabin wasnt quite as good as the Avensis.

Then ... I was shocked, it showed a new Proton and a Freelander... both of which were a 3star. Brake pedal would've impaled the drivers crotch, steering wheel would've pushed into the drivers chest, in the Freelander the door wouldnt open properly and was shoved back so wouldnt close either, its seat had twisted and the roof and A pillar had buckled.

So, it made me think ... theres a topic in the "None-Astra chat" forum that asks "older car with low milage or newer car with higher milage" ... now a fast/smart/cool car is great and an older one might have those things u want for the price u want but ... makes u wonder what would happen in a crash.

Has anyone else thought of these tests?

For those who want to know what their car rating is:

Vauxhall Astra mk4

- Adult Occupancy Rating - 4 Star
    - Child Occupancy Rating - N/A
    - Pedestrian Test Rating - 1 Star

Vauxhall Astra mk5

- Adult Occupancy Rating - 5 Star
    - Child Occupancy Rating - 4 Star
    - Pedestrian Test Rating - 1 Star

Personally I've always liked newer cars, fair play many folks cant afford newer cars, but with that in mind, does anyone look into the NCAP rating when purchasing either a new or older car? Some older cars like the 1996 shape VW Polo is a 3 Star rating, whereas the Corsa B is a 2 Star, so would that alter your decision of which car to pick? or do you base it on other things such as sports suspension and air con?

Also, have you ever modded your car, making it LESS safe? We've all seen Norm's carbon bonnet incident and I'm sure there's been other accidents involving modded parts ... but has a modded part ever made your car less safe (Whether you knew it would or it was a dodgy part that you were unaware of)?
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its good o know how safe the occupants of the car is when buying but I doubt people give a rats monkey about its pedestrian rating ( I know I would not but one just because its pedestrian friendly )...
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This was actually one of the reasons why I decided on getting a astra mk4, had a high rating compared to other cars which I wanted. And at the end of the day its better than the 2 star which my punto had!

Dont want to know what would happen if i crashed in that thing :|

But at the end of the day, its only a little thing I take into consideration

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    never really looked into it before, but good to know how strong your car is, but it wouldn't change my choice of car. For instance i would much rather have a corsa than a polo, and knowing that the polo is slightly stronger would change my mind tbh

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the NCAP rating is just a bonus as is the EURO 4 emissions compliance and cheap as chips insurance for what is a pretty rapid car!
    Ex Golf R32, now mk5 Astra Estate 1.9CDTi (150PS, 232ftlb) Design on fat alloys.