Thread: mk5 bigger front disc brakes

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mk5 bigger front disc brakes

i know i have a few threads on my car at the moment, but im after a few different things that will be easier to discuss and easier for people to search later.

as you can see, my standard discs look lame inside my 19"'s. I want to get some bigger discs in, is it as simple as buying some bigger discs then using the same pads and calipers (i'll paint them red/black or something)?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good thought, and they'd look bloody amazing.. but im after something a little cheaper.

and you've also led me to find a nice lowering idea.. 888 coilovers..

at the top it says "Astra 1.9 CDTi (Sport Hatch, 5-door & Estate)" and mine's a 1.6 petrol

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i guess i should point out that my model is 4 stud..

IS IT just as simple as getting new discs? or do i need new calipers etc?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seeing as its a 4stud i'd be guessing its the same principle as for the Mk4 - therefore you'd be needing discs, pads, calipers and knuckles.

You can buy kits off the shelf with everything included - LMF for instance will do a 308mm conversion for 4-stud Mk4's for £495 upwards... I'd be surprised if the Mk5 4stud was different.

Obviously sourcing the relevant parts 2nd hand maybe an option - especially if the procedure is the same as for Mk4s.

This is the point at which I will step aside and let someone else take over as my knowledge on this is steadily dwindling!

Good luck though and hopefully you can get some big stoppers sorted!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate thats a great reply, i was just on the LMF site and saw they had that kit for the mk4.. and i thought just how different can it be?

noticed the black diamond upgrade too.. worth the cash?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would whip a wheel off tbh and take a look as hopefully vauxhall have ditched the cast steering knuckle and caliper carrier like the mk4 small engined cars (the thread was easily stripped when removing the calipers) and stuck with a standard steering knuckle and just changed the caliper carriers to suit disk sizes. if that is the case look out for some vxr brakes, a few members are ditching there vxr brakes to opt for the vectra 345mm brakes.
    Darwin has just brought a set for £250 hopefully it would be a case of using the vxr caliper carrier, calipers and disks. Only down fall is you would either need custom made disks or try and re drill the 5 stud disks to fit 4 stud