Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want a motorbike but scared of death!!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Want a motorbike but scared of death!!

Having a motorbike has a lot going for it!! Cheap insurance...cheap to buy a fast one!...cheap petrol...look and the sound is just amazing

My mate has just done his "crash course" and got his bike licence...was thinking I might just save up and do it so I have the licence available for the future...

Only problem is...Am too scared of getting hit by a car and getting seriously hurt...whilst on holiday we took quadbikes out on the road and the unsecure feeling of not being in a car is strange...plus my doctor calls bike drivers, organ donors

What are people's thoughts on bikes? safe or too dangerous??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    edit : From UK Dept for Transport :
    • Motorcyclists represent 1% of traffic but represent 19% of deaths and serious injuries
    • Motorcycle riders are over 40 times more likely to be killed than car drivers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if youre gonna get a bike you need to start of with something small cos if you get strait on a 600 you'll fall of

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take things easy and dont rush into something with loads of power. as you say there cheap to insure and get hold of so changing more often than a car as you feel you can is easier. although im learning to drive car i have often thought bout learning on a bike cause i used to love them but dont think i would have confidence anymore

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    probably would be a 125 something like this...

but thats not the issue...would u ride a bike? or is it too dangerous...

personally i dunno if i could trust other drivers on the road to be observant all the time

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    personnally i wouldn't ride a bike, and find "most" bike riders on the road to be a liability

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always fancied one, but like you I'm scared of getting wrapped round another car. If I had one I think I'd save it for the summer, and leave it under a blanket in shite weather - it's gotta be twice as bad in the rain.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never fancied it tbh.

Why do 99% of bikers on the road think they are on a race track?
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Defo go for it - it'll make u more observant and teach u some excellent riding skills (and driving skills to take back to ur car) - obviously im biased but I dont ride like a *****..

as for the comments about bikers being a liability - in reality its more the other way round - car drivers have not undertaken any additional training unlike bikers for instance and the majority of accidents are caused by car drivers not anticipating what bikes can do or just not looking in their blind spots etc. More awareness is needed in my opinion by car drivers.

Personally I love nothing more than gettin out on the bike - but prefer being out in the country away from the idiot car drivers who make life hell for most of the bikers on the roads today.

If u wanna do it - Go for it.

The intensive course is the only way to do it IMO and youll learn some bloody good stuff and realise its not us bikers who are the problem.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so who told you its cheap insurance ?

i love the look of bikes and the sound but you would never catch me on one as with the luck i have i would end up under a lorry
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would agree, the car drivers are the biggest risk to bikers.

If you are steady and have a level head you should be able to position yourself so you are not in danger. Its something I would like to do.

I passed my test and have an allowance on my licence for up to a 125.... is that still valid?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast