Thread: Mk4 Astra 1.7dti Engine Management Light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Mk4 Astra 1.7dti Engine Management Light

Hi I've got a 2001 astra 1.7dti. A few months ago i noticed the engine management light beginning to appear. Checked the manual to see what it meant and found that the engine goes into a safe mode for some reason and that performance is impaired and fuel consumption is improved. i've been driving it ever since. it comes on when i start it up. a few minutes later it'll switch off by itself and if im driving on the motorway itll appear again after about 10 miles. However sometimes it doesnt come back on at all. Any ideas of why this could be or if anyones experienced this? Is it a common fault with the diesel versions as a few people i know have got the same problem and it doesnt seem to bother them at all? Is it anything to worry about? Thanks in advance.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    There are plenty of things that it could be. The light is for any sensor that reports bad readings. A quick trip to Vaux and £40 later you'll know which sensor is playing up and what to do to rectify it.

However in the mean time I have a sneeky suspicion. Open the bonnett and when the car is off and cool open and remove the water expansion tank top. Unscrew it you'll hear the air hiss out as it presurises. Look on the underside of the tank top and see if there are any deposits or what looks like mayonaise on the under side. Do this again for the oil filler cap. If you find any deposits then it'll more thank likley be a failing head gasket.

Check that first. Welcome to AS and for future reference technical questions are posted in the Technical section under diesel. Thats where our technical bods hang out lol.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ye i looked at the tank a month back and ye there was brown residue but then i had a look to see if the oil and water were mixing and nothing came up and its not overheating, could it be the fact that i need a service?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    No the sensors won't pick up that you need a service. How many miles has the car done and when was the last service what was done on the last service?

Has the residue got the consistancy of mayonaise? One of the members off here had the same symptoms you see and he never had any oil in the water either but its definatly a head gasket failure.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the cars done 120k (my workhorse) but it has been regularly serviced properly. erm the last service was done on 110k. no it doesnt have the consistency of mayonnaise. just a fairly thin brown residue. so your definately telling me its my head gasket going?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    I have a program and it tells me what should be done. It also gives out cautionary messages as well. The messages are as follows

Timing belt renew 100'000 miles
    Aux drive belts renew 100'000miles
    Diesel fuel filter drain
    Check & adjust valve clearences.

Have you had the above done? I only ask as usually when I get these cautionary messages its because the manufacturer has misprinted in their service manuals.

It doesn't sound like its a head gasket failure. If you know of a good garage I'd recommend you get them to plug their diagnostic equipment in and retrieve the stored fault code. I can tell you what the code means and likely fixes required.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Phew. Well chuffed it isnt my head gasket. I dont think its had any of those done. Just bought a servicing kit and so i was going to get fuel and all of the other filters changed. Thing is bought it a year ago with a 100k on the clock. So i'll get someone to check it out. Thanks. your a star.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    You may want to get those parts replaced and re-serviced just to make sure its in tip top condition especially if its your work horse. I suggest you get that code first off all and come back to me and I'll check it out see what it is.
    But for reference if its in limp mode its in this mode to save the engine so get it looked at quick.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It'll be a head gasket starting to go. I've yet to see a 1.7DTi with more than about 80k on the clock, that hasn't had a head gasket go.

It's not really much to worry about, though. They don't seem to mind it.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZS View Post
    It'll be a head gasket starting to go. I've yet to see a 1.7DTi with more than about 80k on the clock, that hasn't had a head gasket go.

It's not really much to worry about, though. They don't seem to mind it.

remember mine @ 125k - turned out it was the turbo and head that were going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast