Thread: Sat Nav Advice!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sat Nav Advice!

Am looking for some advice on the Sat Nav front, am thinking about getting my Dad a unit for his Christmas. I'm looking for a unit that can be transferred easily to other cars (incase another member of the family needs it), can detect speed cameras and is easy to use.

I saw the new Road Angel Navigator in Halfords a while back and the touch screen looks tiny - specially for my Dad who has big hands.

Not looking for anything to expensive and not to bothered about European maps.

Thanks!
    Crazy little Scottish lass!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the only one that picks up speed cams are the road angels, (i think) as for it being small, they are all about the same size now.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I'm sure clokey's tom tom 1 had a speed camera overlay when we used it
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a tomtom one gb (new version), uk only maps does cameras and traffic updates works great
    2 Door E350 CDI - OM642 power baby
    emJlZnIgdmYgZmJiYmIgeW5mZyBscm5l

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, basically you should 100% get a TomTom One...

Because:
    *they are very simple and easy to use (touch screen for example)
    *the technology is very good
    *they are very good value
    *full postcode search

I actually work at Halfords (or should that be Halfrauds) and the TomTom's are the best units we sell. Garmin are good, but they are no-where near as simple as TomTom.
    One suggestion though; If you gonna get a TomTom one GB for £149.99, consider getting the Europe version for £50 extra, because its a bargain!!! Don't even think about getting that Road Angel... they are CRAP!!!

Need any more advice giv me a shout.
    Leave No Man Behind.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In every test I have done the Garmins have been found as being the easiest to use by a broad spectrum of people, likewise every meaningful magazine has come to the same conclusion. Likewise on the technology front the Garmins and Navmans are the slickest and then comes the tomtom and I am not talking about screen size etc but on the bits that really count namely the GPS bits. Not to say that the Tomtom is very difficult cause it aint, but where the garmin falls down is that it is more expensive than the TT 1, for a decent spec one e.g. the nuvi.

So I would agree with j4Joe, for value for money, the TTone is hard to beat especially as you want something with a slightly bigger screen and would be the one to get under £200. But get the version 2 not version one. If you are spending more than £200 and want the absolute best then the Garmin 660, the Tomtom 910 and the Navman N60 are the ones to look at.

Both makes will allow speed camera overlays

Again I would concurr about the road angels being a bit second rate in comparisen.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Very much appreciated! Have been having a look at the Tom Tom units, I didn't know you could get camera alerts on them (all be for a extra subscription). Will check the units out to see them in real life down at Halfords.
    Crazy little Scottish lass!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Navman?

hava a look at the Navman N40i (or F20)

3.5" touch screen
    lightweight, compact unit, very nice mounting bracket too
    very quick startup & antenna sensitivity
    easy to use menu's
    NavPix camera*,

*my favourite option - if you don't know an address you can download pic's from their web-site & also take a photo of a location & it memorises its co-ordinates so you don't have to type them in the future, handy if your travelling & don't know the address! Red light & fixed camera downloadable from web-site (free in Oz!)

this is what i'm saving up for for myself at x-mas....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Petey
    hava a look at the Navman N40i (or F20)

3.5" touch screen
    lightweight, compact unit, very nice mounting bracket too
    very quick startup & antenna sensitivity
    easy to use menu's
    NavPix camera*,

*my favourite option - if you don't know an address you can download pic's from their web-site & also take a photo of a location & it memorises its co-ordinates so you don't have to type them in the future, handy if your travelling & don't know the address! Red light & fixed camera downloadable from web-site (free in Oz!)

this is what i'm saving up for for myself at x-mas....

NO!!! Don't buy it!!!! They are rubbish mate... seriously, i use sat-navs everday (its my job) and the Navman's are crap. All the ones we've sold, we've had back!
    Leave No Man Behind.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what about a garmin NUVI 310D think you can get for about 250ish that what im looking at now, and they come with live traffic reports.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast