Thread: Is It Ok To...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Is It Ok To...

I wasn't sure whether I should have posted this in the 'Engine, Clutch, Gearbox and Exhaust' forum, but seeing as though it's not a problem I thought it would be best to post here...

Anyway, Is it ok to knock your gears into neutral whilst moving? I think it's called 'Coasting'? I'm not sure. For instance, you're travelling downhill stopping and starting, there's not much point in putting it into gear. I do this alot, I've never actually thought if it will cause any problems short-term or long-term.

Anyone with any information?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont think it would cause any problem coz you not useing your engine its like rolling with out it on i do it all the time but i could be wrong lol
    59 Plate Astra MK5 Sapphire Black 1.8i VVT 140Bhp (Won't be that for long)

"Hey Derick Babaylon 5 is a big pile of s**t!" /Love Spaced.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem in doing that at all, but your not doing anything to any advantage - You'll lose engine braking, so will put more wear on the brakes, and as Astras have over-run fuel shutoff, you'll not save any petrol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coasting is frowned upon where I work. I can't see it damaging the box until you try to reselect the correct gear in which case the syncro gears are gonna object, plus you don't save any cash IMO and you probably end up spending more on brake pads as engine braking is free.

IMO it's not worth the effort, however I do coast when approaching traffic lights which I know are going to stay red. Just a habit I've picked up from when I drove crash boxes ( in case you don't know that's a gearbox with no syncromesh gears, if you don't time them correctly you ain't changing gears )
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wont cause any problems that i know of, easier to just put the clitch down i would have thought tho, but wont cause damage as its just leaving the car idleing, no diff from when its sat still,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyR
    wont cause any problems that i know of, easier to just put the clitch down i would have thought tho, but wont cause damage as its just leaving the car idleing, no diff from when its sat still,
    Driving with the clutch down causes wear on the thrust bearing and the plates, not recommended at all.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob
    Driving with the clutch down causes wear on the thrust bearing and the plates, not recommended at all.
    never knew that.....i tend to leave it in gear with the clutch fullt up tho lately since i heard that saves fuel....lol

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's because with the clutch down the engine will still idle and burn fuel, and with it up the car wil go be in over-run and the fuel is cut off - ergo saved juice

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    That's because with the clutch down the engine will still idle and burn fuel, and with it up the car wil go be in over-run and the fuel is cut off - ergo saved juice
    so it does cause damage with the clutch down? never heard of that before until oddjob said but i guess it does make sense,

also makes sense leaving it in gear does save fuel...do that quite a bit since i heard about it....

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep, you push the clutch down and the release bearing presses the fingers on the pressure plate inwards and and releases the pressure on the clutch plate, so it can spin freely in relation to the flywheel (ergo drive is disconnected).

In doing so the release bearing has to withstand the the force of the pressure plate for far longer than it needs to, so it's life will be shortened. and when you release the clutch there will be a slight amount of slippage until it's clamped by the pressure plate onto the flywheel again - and that is increased wear too.

in other words , the more you press the clutch pedal down, the more you wear it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast