Thread: Manifolds mk4

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Manifolds mk4

With the mk4 astra sport 1.8 16v does it matter if i get a smaller or bigger engine sized manifold cos every where i go say i need the exact one.

Also how much should i be able to pick one up for?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also interested in this as i have a '99 mk4 1800 Sport. Determined i have the X18XE1 engine and i need to replace my cracked manifold and leaking sump.
    Drives - '05 MK4 Astra Cabriolet Exclusiv
    Builds - '94 MK3 Astra Saab Turbo powered track car
    Too many ideas, never enough money!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The X18XE1 and Z18XE are the largest capacity smallblock engines made so no manifold from a larger capacity engine can possibly fit as the cylinder spacing is different on 2.0 and 2.2.

A manifold from a 1.6 is likely to restrict airflow so unlikely to give any improvement.
    Maintains:- Vectra Design 1.9CDTi
    Drives :- Hyundai Santa Fe

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanx for your help i think ill go for the 1.8 manifold then

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and welcome to Astra-Sport!!!
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and in case you don't know the X18XE1 and the Z18XE use different exhaust manifolds, the later Z18XE engine has the CAT installed in the manifold as well instead of under the car like the X18XE1. They don't really swap over very well either.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ken, any idea why there aren't interchangable? When I last checked a while ago for someone else, the head, block and sump all had the same part nos for both the X18XE1 and Z18XE.

I appreciate that there will be a lambda issue, but otherwise on paper it seems you can fit an X18 mani to a Z18, and then have an underslung sports cat on a custom section. Although going this route would probably work out the same price as getting the correct one straight off

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believe the stud pattern arrangement is slightly different Geoff, of course you will have the Lambda sensor problem as well. I've studied a few pics of the stud arrangement and it does appear the Z18XE uses a bolt hole the X18XE1 doesn't. Study the 2 pics and the Z18XE has 2 bolt holes directly under each other on the R/H corner, the X18XE1 doesn't appear to have the hole below the top one.

X18XE1 manifold

Z18XE manifold
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Geoff is the exhaust manifold/head gasket the same part number?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Humm, so it's an extra stud on the X18XE1 for clamping down the EGR feed pipe "extension" - interesting .

This is one of the very, very few times I wish I had a 1.8, because this dilema needs further investigation, and that's the sort of challange that I like

Is there not a hole for the extra stud on the Z18 head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast