Thread: Courtenay Sport Update - 292bhp/333lb/ft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Courtenay Sport Update - 292bhp/333lb/ft

I went down to Courtenay Sport yesterday to have my car looked at. I hadn't felt very quick recently so I wanted then to check it out and also fit a VXR AFM.

I got up at 4am and headed up there with my mate Paul. About 10 miles from Courtenays, my radiator sprang a big leak - great!

I managed to get to Courtenays who got straight onto finding a radiator locally and sorting out this problem first. The radiator that was delivered was missing a few essential brackets for use with the Z20LET, so it was then taken to a place to weld on the required brackets. Once done and fitted, we threw the car on the rollers.

I am running CS4 with a Regal inlet cam, and was interested to see what the cam was doing. Well, it turns out that the cam was doing very little. The graphs was almost identical to other cars with CS4 but with a standard inlet cam - although I had lost some torque at around 4000rpm.

One thing that became apparent is that I had plently of power, I was simply feeling the drop in torque, which didn't feel good on the road.

Anyway, the VXR AFM was then fitted, along with 80mm Samco Extreme induction hoses. Back on the rollers, the curve looked prety much the same, except the torque dip reduced (although not at good as non Regal cammed CS4 graphs), but on the upside, the power held on for a fair bit longer - possibly an extra 1000rpm.

On the road the car felt much better as the dip was less pronounced and the power held on for longer. Spinting was now much better and drivability was much better thanks to adjustments to the base CS4 map.

In conclusion, the Regal cam made little difference below 5500rpm, in fact lost a bit of torque at 4000rpm, but the cam did cause power to be held for longer.

Regal claim an increase of 40bhp with this cam - I saw no such thing. The cam made no increase in power at all, but did hold the power the engine already had for a bit longer.

The loss in power low down verses the increase at the top is down to personal preference really. My setup with the Regal cam would be better for high rev sprinting, but the standard cam would be better for on the road drivability. To add to this, the Regal cam makes the idle a little lumpy. I guess you had to decide what you want to use your car for.

I'm not going to bother removing the cam to gain some torque. At least I know things are running ok now.

I big big thankyou to the guys at Courtenay Sport for sorting out the radiator problem and sticking around till 8pm until the car was finished - great service!!
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you'll find with most tuners, that they advertise gains "up to"....xx amount.

Also looking at the regal site, I cant see claims for the cams...was it these ones:
    http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/Sho...ls.asp?id=4884

...and if it does provide more power as you say above 5500rpm, then it's doing it's job
    Just maybe not as you say in the normal driveability - which is not necessarily the function for highly modded parts.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M40COO
    I think you'll find with most tuners, that they advertise gains "up to"....xx amount.

Also looking at the regal site, I cant see claims for the cams...was it these ones:
    http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/asps/Sho...ls.asp?id=4884

...and if it does provide more power as you say above 5500rpm, then it's doing it's job
    Just maybe not as you say in the normal driveability - which is not necessarily the function for highly modded parts.
    Not that one.
    The one Mike has is half way down on the front page of regals website. (With a graph showing a 40bhp gain!)

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is that a 40bhp gain on a lower tuned LET or the same state?

might be that due to mike having tunied his to starship enterpirse level that it wont produce the gans but just holds the power longer

but then again i know nothing
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Next thing I want to get fitted is the VXR AFM but was waiting for further tests to see how it stands up. Typical as my standard one just died so replaced it with a new one.

But we all know they dont last forever lol

Still keep up the good work Mike
    Insignia CDTI 160
    200bhp DTUK
    2007 Suzuki GSXR for the weekends

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there must be an alternative to the bosch ones
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well done mate!! You've got a nice motor there!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mike, Can this VXR AFM be used on standard cars or modded?

I know id need 80mm air intake pipes etc but just wondering if this would fit a standard Z20LET as i need a new afm and if this one will fit i might get it then at least i have a better one.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No - you need a map to suit.
    8 Astras in a row! Can Anyone Beat That?
    Star Silver Astra Sporthatch SRi XP 1.9 CDTi (150PS)
    A Vauxhall site about Vauxhalls.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see, i shall have to get a bosch one then.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast