Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Let down

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    LordNikon's Avatar
    AOC Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    18,952
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Let down

    Coming home tonight down the dual carriageway and something comes flying up behind me, promptly pull over and let it past...... turns out to be a white Mk5 888. I was interested to see how well it went so pull out to give chase following in his black cloud of doom as i have now called it. Anyway he keeps trucking on but pulls into the left lane as i breeze past, its still chucking out clouds of shite so i have to assume its still trying, and we're well into 3 figures but the renault 'o' shite went past no problems

    Was i expecting to much or are they really not that quick in reality ??

    I thought they were meant to be pretty sorted with all that torque. It did look nice though, and i guarantee he was getting better mpg than me, but i fealt alittle let down it didn't give more of a fight.

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    reggie69's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    proberly ran out of puff has most diesals do towards top end quick of the mark but when BHP takes over it all goes to pot (possibly)
    check my coupe out here been track prep'd!!
    http://www.m1gst.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80984

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    Al's Avatar
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    8,200
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the MK5 888 is more for show than go really, so its not designed to go fast.

    Also, a mod should know better than posting racing threads. Your a bad influence Mr Nikon, bad, bad

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Darwin's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    607
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordNikon
    Coming home tonight down the dual carriageway and something comes flying up behind me, promptly pull over and let it past...... turns out to be a white Mk5 888. I was interested to see how well it went so pull out to give chase following in his black cloud of doom as i have now called it. Anyway he keeps trucking on but pulls into the left lane as i breeze past, its still chucking out clouds of shite so i have to assume its still trying, and we're well into 3 figures but the renault 'o' shite went past no problems

    Was i expecting to much or are they really not that quick in reality ??

    I thought they were meant to be pretty sorted with all that torque. It did look nice though, and i guarantee he was getting better mpg than me, but i fealt alittle let down it didn't give more of a fight.
    Needs a new map by the sound of it , new maps have got rid of the black smoke

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    buckle's Avatar
    /
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    18,921
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin
    Needs a new map by the sound of it , new maps have got rid of the black smoke
    How? Do they convert it to run on petrol

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    TomH's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,753
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al
    I think the MK5 888 is more for show than go really, so its not designed to go fast.
    Id say that its got speed aswell

    Only 0 - 60 is quicker than 888 ( 6.8 for the MK5) but astra has got another 110lbft, top gear had reviewed a black 888 ( claimed top speed) 153mph

    Manufacturer Renault
    Model Megane
    Engine In-line 4-cyl, 1998cc, turbo
    Max torque 221lb ft @ 3000rpm
    Max power 222bhp @ 5500rpm
    Nil to sixty 6.5sec (claimed)
    Top speed 147mph (claimed)

    I know mine feels slow without the sports button

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Neilus's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive race a megane every morning off the lights and it never beat me yet but it is standard
    drivin hard! an smellin clutch!

  8. #8
    SXi Stu
    SXi Stu's Avatar
    they take a good ten thousand miles to bed in, if his had a low mileage it wouldnt have been running anywhere near full power.

    I would quite happily give u a go in my CDTI, I think I would surprise you, mine is over 200 now though

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    Neilus's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    481
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mines knocking on 300bhp mate more when the nos comes
    drivin hard! an smellin clutch!

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    gil16e's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    326
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH im surprised that you breezed by him so easy, it must have been one thats not bedded in as on the move i would have thought the 888 cdti would be quicker than the meg@ne...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •