Thread: Exhaust Blowing, but from the front

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Blowing, but from the front

The last few days, when starting my car up from cold, its sounded shocking.. v.noisey, and making a blowing sound.

I've got a feeling its linked to going over a speedbump at the weekend, ie i heard a big clump/noise as the speedbump hit the middle of my car, or so it seemed.

Anyway, as i said, it sounds like its coming from somewhere at the front, so last night i jacked the car up, and took a look underneath.

I cant see any holes or anything like that, nor could i feel any air blowing out.

The seal thats under the car, but right at the front(has 3 bolts i think) did appear to be leaking something when i first had a look. My mate revved the engine and it looked like a bit of water(really small amount) came out of that seal.. but after that, nothing really. I checked the bolts but they seemed tight/fine.

The only other thing was, it looks like a coil part, just after that bolt really, with some metal mesh or similar wrapped around, a part of this was off, but from memory, its always been like it.

Could it be that seal where the exhaust joins? I just wouldnt have thought it would make such a noise for that..

Any ideas please?

Thanks
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get someone to stuff a rag up the tail pipe (with the engine running) and then get under the car and listen/look for it "chuffing" - that'll be where is blowing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg
    Get someone to stuff a rag up the tail pipe (with the engine running) and then get under the car and listen/look for it "chuffing" - that'll be where is blowing
    so totally block up the exhaust so no fumes can get out?

Did think about trying that last night, but thought it may have done some damage
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention, when the cars warmed up a bit, it sounds loads better too.. im assuming its because the gap/hole/whatever is expanding due to the heat..

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If there is a leak they will still escape from it, so it will highlight the leak pretty quickly. Don't do it for ages abviously, just long enough to work out where it's coming from.
    From the Southeast? Find your next meet here

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence is limited.

At least I have chicken!

WellOilBeefHooked

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine was blowing from the front, found out that the manifold on the Turbo had cracked.

had the same symtoms as you.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muli
    mine was blowing from the front, found out that the manifold on the Turbo had cracked.

had the same symtoms as you.
    hmm, dont like the sound of that at all..

was it easy to see? did you have any other symptons?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah you could see my crack at the top of the manifold, but thats not to say it always cracks on the top it could be cracked anywhere on the manifold??

other symtoms were when driving round you could tell that it was blowing from somewhere.

try the rag in the zort technique i'm sure you'll soon find it, and just stick your head under the bonnet to c if is the manifold??