Thread: Alternators

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Alternators

I read somewhere on here a while back, that i can bin my standard alternator and replace it with a juicier one fomr a vectra or a diesel. Is this right?

The reason i ask is that when i turn my whhels to full lock with my lights on, they dim, and so do the clocks. and its the same whenever i switch a second 'appliance' on along with my lights, everything dims. it EVEN dims when i turn on my indicators

can anyone shed any light???
    Coupe now being broken for parts
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Id be upgrading/replacing ur battery first. May just be "past it" - failing that then yeah an uprated alternator would certainly be up to the job.

As standard Id guess u have the 100amp jobbie (70A fitted to non A/C models) with the range topping 120A monster fitted to certain models.

It'll be a straight swap and mated up with an uprated battery should see everything working as it shoud.

Its expected that lights will dim when steering on full lock - the EHPS pump uses a hell of a lot of power in normal usage never mind when its on full lock ... as for dimming with just indicators on this would suggest more a case of battery fatigue, but as said above - Id consider upgrading both battery & alt to remedy ur situation

The 120A model fitted to certain Astra G models was Vx Part Number 9195336 (Bosch P/N 0124515031)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    have a look on ebay dave they do direct replacements in 100amp/120 if i remember, thats where i got mine from your looking about £70/£80
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    well £80 is certainly better than a smack in the chops. what kinda battery do i wanna be lookin for? anythin in particular or do i just go and buy 'a battery'. would it be wirth gettin a beast now, to save changing again when i throw some ICE at the coup?
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OE batteries were 36/44/55/66 & 70AH. Id expect u have the 55 fitted. Personally Id go for a 70Ah or bigger - u can get loads of quality units on fleabay - for ridiculously cheap amounts. This together with an uprated alt will stand u in good stead for any future ICE upgrades.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ok chees pal. i'll get onto it then. wicked
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    how do you find out what utput the alternator is? is it stamped on or somethin??
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i presume u mean which one do you have fitted? If so, i'm 99% sure it'll be the 100A version.

Basic guide - 70amp fitted to non aircon models, 100amp on A/C models with 120A on high end (sometimes police spec & SVOS cars) so more than likely it'll be the 100a variant. Cosmetically they are all the same hence why u cant really tell just by looking at it.

It should be printed on a little sticker on the alternator itself BUT the only way to see the number would be to (a) remove the alternator [which in itself takes ages due to all the associated parts in the way] or (b) contort ur self into a strange position [maybe from underneath with a torch] to see the number!!!

or (c) take my word for it that u have the 100amp version

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    ok. but now i'm looking for one on ebay. i typed in vauxhall alternator. how do i know what output it is if they haven't stated?
    You know the one

Enquire within

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i uprated mine to a 100amp one, its a standard lucas/bosch replacment part, try to get a bosch one to as i understand there better quality,

All i did when i fitted mine was run an extra 60amp hour cable from the output of the alternator to the battery to cope with the extra current, i know the standard loom will most proberly take it but for 30mins work and £8 worth of cable/terminal/conduit it may save an electrical fire!!!!

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast