Thread: Exhaust Emissions Light

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Exhaust Emissions Light

Got a little problem and am looking for some advice.

My exhaust emissions light has come on and last week my pal, took out the battery to reset the ECU to see if that cleared the fault, but it didn't then he cleaned my air filter out and cleaned the sensors that are connected to my air filter and that cleared the light. However I drove around for about 100 miles and the light is back on!

I'm going to go back out and clean my air filter and air filter sensors (when it stops raining) to see if that clears the light again.

My car was on the rolling road at AVA in Glasgow last Sunday and the car ran fine, no issues with it and they said everything was running fine no excess CO2 or anything like that.

The car is a 2003 Astra G 1.6 16v with around 35000 miles on the clock. Have had no troubles with it since buying it last year and it had a service and MOT in April there and nothing was wrong with it then, passed with a clean bill of health.

Have only got the Veccy c pipe in the car - standard air filter and have had no adverse affects with that and it's been installed for most of the year.

Anyone any advice?
    Crazy little Scottish lass!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be you Lamada sensor has gone, once the ECU has been reset it takes a number of miles or a number of switch on / off cycles which will put the light back on.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger
    Could be you Lamada sensor has gone, once the ECU has been reset it takes a number of miles or a number of switch on / off cycles which will put the light back on.
    Excuse the ignorance but where is the Lamada sensor and if it is that that is faulty is that a big/expensive job to replace?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its called the Lambda sensor (otherwise known as O2 or oxygen sensor) This is most commonly a sensor which plugs into the exhaust manifold (sometimes more than 1 fitted) anyway (yours be a later model will have it plugged into the front pipe) sensor with a wire coming off it - hard to miss!!

You could try wiggling the sensor to see if the light extinguishes - failing that then a diagnostic hook up should confirm the fault. If the lambda is at fault then these can be picked up for anything from £30 upwards depending on model.

Yours would be £76.50+VAT from Vx - or can be had for £45 new on ebay.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help guys, well the rain has stopped but it's far to dark to go digging around for the sensor! lol

Will let ya know how I get on!

Thanks again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    my sensor on my exhaust came unplugged from a pot hole, its just behind the flexi section after the down pipe
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cars in the garage today for a service and they have checked the light - looks like its EGR Valve that's faulty.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

what simptyms did you car run ok, did it stall on stopping. how much have you been quoted for repair.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blindspot View Post
    what simptyms did you car run ok, did it stall on stopping. how much have you been quoted for repair.
    Apart from the light being on my car ran fine. It didn't like short wee journeys' (ie if I went from my works car park to a petrol station, about 1mile away and tried to start the car again after getting petrol it would chug and act like it wouldn't start but it did eventually)

I can't remember the exact price of the replacement EGR valve, I think it was about £100. I got a few others things done on the car at the time and the bill doesn't itemise the prices.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same problem but turned out to be the air flow meter. Was throwing up a dodgy reading and bringing on the exaust emissions light. Bear that in mind if the EGR dosent cure it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast