Thread: Quality or price...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quality or price...

Just a question out of curiousity more than anything else.

Do you guys and girls with decent equipment just get bog standard wiring and RCA's or do you splash out on some decent stuff?

Would you rather spend more money on getting the best equipment you can afford and then buy the cheapest RCAs and speaker wire available?

There just seem's to be a culture at the moment of bargain basement car audio, the first thing people seem to want to know is the cheapest sub or cheapest amp they can get there mitts on.

Maybe I'm just ranting but there really isn't a big scene for high end audio, expecially when you've got halfords selling pink flatpack sub kits for a couple quid and young modders filling their cars with huge low quality systems for a couple quid. What chance is there for real car audio?

It's just something that pisses me off a fair bit....open for discussion
    LM Audio - Knebworth Herts - 01438 812444

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have spent a couple of hundred on a genesis amp, rainbow speakers and also a JVC H/U but dont see the point of spending a great deal on cable imo, probs completley wrong though lol!
    Got XBOX LIVE? Gimme a game!
    Gamertag: DOGBOY14

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jimmy it has always been the case with high end audio not selling large quantities. But it is not as poor as you think.

What I have found is that the people that spend a fortune on ICE generally do not harp on about it, so you are probably not as aware of how much high end stuff gets sold. Case in point recently I have helped on numerous cars where the owners had spent well over 10K (5 or so over the last 2 weeks) on there systems in fact the Bentley on the weekend spent closer to 30K (with labour included) but as he is a oldish gent (well over 60) he is not the kind to carry on about the how much how much he spent, he wanted a quality system and that is what he got end of conversation. Being discreet is how many companies and clients who spend large sums work.

Anyways the general rule of thumb that holds true for home audio holds true for car audio and that is 15% of what you spend on your equipment should go on your cabling. Now realistically cabling for cars does not get nowhere near the 10K interconnect I have seen, but obviously if you spend 30k on equipment and then spend £50 on you cabling then you have just wasted 30K as it will sound no better than a gettobalster. But realistically for £1K equipment spending £100 is a resonable amount and the difference is very apparent.

Me I always tend to go for middle to high end stuff and always spend an equivalent amount on cabling but obviously people will spend what they can afford and IMHO it is the ICE shops job to advise them approriately.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good points raised. I guess the higher end of the market is taken by people that you won't generally see at a cruise on a thursday night down at Burger King

But there still seems to be sooo much crap out there, I'm not saying that as a snobby thing or anything, I know I've got some decent kit and I have some very ordinary kit. At the shows this year the missing link in a lot of the proper show cars was ICE. A few cars didn't have an install as such and then the majority that did have a proper install we're let down on cheap tacky equipment and poor installs. I guess it comes down to how enthusiastic you about ICE at the end of the day.

IASCA UK seems to be dwindling in numbers show by show, there just doesn't seem to be as much passion around. I'm new to the whole thing so I don't pretend to be an expert but I'm trying to pick up as much as I go and have tried to spend as much time as I can talking to people in the industry working for some of the main players.

In my opinion the market is becoming flooded with cheap, tacky, low quality equipment with a lack of education on the consumers part, but on the flip side there are still a small number of companies that are doing some really interesting stuff...Source Sounds and LM Audio to name a couple

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    spend the money on good desent cableing well worth it in my opinan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Jimmy IASCA UK is dying a slow death and it seems that EMMA is replacing it. Which TBH EMMA is the bigger of the two This side of the pond so no bad thing really.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is no point in spending a fortune on power hungry amps if the power cant get to them you might aswell gone halfords and bought crap same goes with RCAs thats just my opinion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't worry I got some decent stuff

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    now thats one hell of a dis block
    i think you made the right coice

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    That fuse/distrubution block looks the business, looks nicer than some cars main fuse boxes
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast