Thread: AlfaGTV's Astra coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AlfaGTV's Astra coupe Turbo

Well ever since I could ride a bike I have been interested in getting places faster or at least looking good trying.

I have had a long list of cars ranging from my first car a sh1tty brown mini with beige interior, not bad for a 6ft 4" guy, quite comical trying to get in and out of it though, moving onto a Fiat uno sticking to the small and cheap cars to run and maintain, then back to a newer mini which I kept for the next 2 years; and in that time the 997cc engine was transplanted with a 1275cc engine removed from a knackered metro.

I sold the mini and made some good money on it and moved onto a ford fiesta XR2i lookalike with a 1.3i engine, unfortuanetly the Ford and I did not get on well together and that car was soon replaced with a brand new Fiat Bravo HLX bought on finance from a main dealership in 1999.

I joined the RAF in March 1999 so had a fairly decent starting wage and no bills to pay, I was loaded or so I thought at the time !

I loved my Bravo, it was actually quite sporty for a 1.6, with the top of the range model at the time being the Bravo HGT a 2.0 20V engine which I had fallen in love with but couldnt afford .

I kept the Bravo for 2 years and only had 1 year remaining on my finance when I made a very silly mistake of selling the Bravo in exchange for a Audi A3 with full S3 bodykit on it, the car looked amazing but drew quite allot of un-welcome attention and was stolen only after 6 months of ownership.

Luckily my Insurance company had paid out and I was able to complete the remaining finance. This left me in a posistion of no car and oodles of money to buy something bigger and better, my next car was to be a 1997 Alfa Romeo GTV 3ltr 24v hence my somewhat dodgy username on a Astra Forum

My Astra coupe Turbo to come in the next installment.
    Cleanest car awarded 'Fast Show' 2006 & 2007

Total Vauxhall featured Sept 2007

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had kept the Alfa GTV for 2 years and after numerous big bills from Alfa Romeo I decided I should move on which is where the search for a Astra coupe Turbo began.

I had registered on Astra-Sport and got all the information I needed to find me a perfect coupe, it took me 2 months to find the right car, I was looking for something very specific when I received a phone call from a dealership saying that the MD of West End Vauxhall in London was getting a new car I took the next few days of work to see this car.

I was confronted with a Mirage Pearlescent coupe turbo (the colour I was looking for) with the added bonus of the half leather/Alcantara interior , the car was owned by the MD and had only covered 28K with complete Vauxhall service history, a deal was struck and I was the proud owner of a turbo coupe.

First pictures when I returned home:

My car looked like this for the next few months, but the more I came on Astra-Sport the more I wanted to do to my car, oh no I had got the car modifying bug again

It all started with the suspension, it just wasn't low enogh and also the front V grill had to go, the suspension was changed to the trusty Eibach sportsline lowering springs and the grill was changed to a LMF slatted item with Irmy badge clevery stuck on

My car looked ten times better and handled better to boot, but then 200bhp just didn't seem very fast, so on with the engine modifications, I removed the crossover pipe and tophat and hand polished them up using nitromoors and varying grades of wet and dry and after one week I had some nice shiny engine parts and a popeye forearm from all the polishing

Next up was a Promotasport boost pipe and some red silicone hoses from Courtenay I painted the airbox and did the veccy c mod and K&N panel filter replacement changed the oil cap over changed over to some Iridum spark plugs and then painted the rocker cover high gloss black.

Things were starting to look a bit better under the bonnet and then one day trouble, the dreaded blue smoke coming out the back of the exhaust, sh1t I thought, under closer inspection the turbo looked to be on its last legs, at this time the new Astra VXR had only been out and avaliable for about 6 months, so the turbo unit and actuator were changed to a new VXR turbo and actuator:

More to come watch this space.........

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay so now I had a new VXR turbo and actuator it would be silly not to change the whole exhaust system step up Mr. Miltek, I had a Regal precat put on, miltek 200 cell centre section and finished of with a Scorpion oval backbox, I also added some Irmscher rear corner splitters.

Bye Bye nasty standard exhaust

Welcome new exhaust system

By this time I thought it was necessary to see Courtenay for a CS1 Remap.

My car was now handling and running better and with the increased power 234 BHP and 242 lb ft torque quite impressive for CS1 as mentioned by John @ Courtenay, I was eating up the miles and going to all the shows.

My First show was back in March 2006 at Santa Pod "The Fast Show" where my car was awarded 'Cleanest Car of the Day' on the Astra-Sport stand anyway

Next up was to change to brake setup, even with 308mm front discs the extra power was causing the discs and pads to struggle, so on came some 20 groove Red.Dot discs all round and some EBC Greenstuff pads.

Shortly after this a GSI front bumper came up for a good price and within the next couple of days it was on.

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just before fitting the GSI front bumper I had fitted 6000k HID's one of the very first people to do this to OE tinted headlights, where as HIDS had been done before but only to Angel eyes.

Spot the difference!

Bumper off:

Bumper on:

Next up was some more shiny engine bits, courtesy of Glenn Yale, a BMC CDA Induction kit and some more red silicone hoses thank you Courtenay and Samco.

A couple of interior changes some new 17cm Pioneer rear speakers in original location, new rainbow 2 way 17cm in front door pods a Pioneer Headunit and disc changer in the boot, a Harmon Kardon Ipod controller installed and a Fli 10" amplified sub in the boot.

I have also installed a traction control panel and heated seats on Alcantara, anyone else done this??? next up will be to re-spray the whole centre console.

My car is far from finished and I can hear a CS4 upgrade calling , here is a finishing picture for now...............................

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I have changed a few things on the coupe after leaving it for a few months, I have sprayed the bumper bar satin black which I think makes it look loads better and almost Audi like (remember you saw it on this car first) I have included a Irmscher DTM spoiler which looks some what more aggressive than the original Irmy spoiler that was there before, also added some Sharkeyes to go with my existing HID kit and I have had a 30 psi boost guage fitted, anyway here are some pics

Well after all these cosmetic additions it was time for some more power again , I had wanted to go for Courtenays CS4 but could'nt quite stretch to that just before crimbo, so I opted for CS3.

I had a Courtenay front mounted intercooler added with red silicone hoses to match the rest of the engine bay

Now onto the rollers to see what the car kicked out

Well after all the pictures the car pushed out a nice 265 bhp with 275 lb ft torque pretty much bang on for CS3

The mods dont stop there though, some new 18" wheels have just been purchased and I have a few more ideas for the front end of the car, watch this space.

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fitted the new 18" Pentas wrapped in 215/35/18 Toyo T1R's

COUPE NOW SOLD

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well it has taken 2 months on and off, I had bought a complete spare console from MFD all the way down to under the handbrake, I also bought some new air vents aswell.

It has been done before and it may be just another dash, but I have painted my dash glacier white to contrast more with my interior, the steering wheel is going to be taken off and be retrimmed to match soon aswell, (just the bottom half)

COUPE NOW SOLD