Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Questions about MOT?

Hey Guys,

I've got the MOT at the end of the month, I know I need to replace one of my fog light bulbs as its not working. However I have a few questions.

I noticed this morning, that my headlights are not pointing where they should be. I know that its something that needs to be sorted for the MOT, but do I need to take it to a garage before hand. Or do I just ask the MOT station to sort it out?

Also will my car fail as its having a slight rattle from the exhaust back box as one of the baffles has got damaged?

Other than that it should be fine touch wood! I had new tyres fitted last week, also while they were fitting them I checked the exhaust over for any other problems and the brakes seem OK.
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most garages will adjust the headlamp aim on the test itself (they did on mine and the wifes) and baffles depends on both how bad they rattle and on the garage you use, i had an advisory notice for my centre section so will be replacing at a later date.
    i used to have a bowl of sanity.......................................but i dropped it

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    for a remus centre pipe?

John, the MOT place will do it if you ask them to before they test it. If you can hear the rattle when you're driving along then it will prob need sorting, if it's not that loud then you should be ok.

If you can jack up the car and get the exhaust off before the MOT, you might be able to shake the broken bits out - the car may be a bit louder but not loud enough to fail an MOT.
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep teej the remus is looming, (not telling the wife its twice the cost of standard tho)
    i used to have a bowl of sanity.......................................but i dropped it

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is it?? I don't know how much the standard centre is, but considering the standard has a silencer in the middle, I would expect the Remus (about £60 at LMF) to be significantly cheaper!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Guys,

I think the MOT centre might overlook the rattle. It took the guy at the exhaust centre and myself quite a bit to work out where the rattle was coming from when I was driving. We had to hit the exhaust all the way along until you get to the back box and only if you hit it in the right place it will rattle.

If you just shake the exhaust it does not rattle. However I think I will do as Teejay said. I'm still thinking of getting someone to cut a hole in the top of it and remove the offending baffle, then weld it back together again.

Well it can't hurt to try! I'd like my irmscher back box to be a bit louder anyway!

John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As long as the exhaust isnt blowing and is secure it can rattle all it likes and it wont fail the MOT.

Also if it was a front fog light bulb its not part of the MOT to test it, same as the reverse lights. So you cant fail it.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought all lights had to be working?

ie - you can't fit lights that don't work, so surely fog lights do need to work

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nope, if its not part of the test which front fogs arent as they are compulsary then they cant fail on it.

to quote mottester.co.uk

" If front fog lamps are fitted to the vehicle, would the vehicle pass an MOT if they were not working (even though they are an optional extra)?"

Front fog lamps are not part of the MOT - MOTT

I also work in a MOT testing garage.

Common mis conception along with the spare wheel myth.