Thread: ChippedUK remap today, new method of remapping

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ChippedUK remap today, new method of remapping

Went to ChippedUk in Bromsgrove today to finally get my Z18XE engine remapped. They used the new live data emulation equipment and as promised I've come on to let other Astra owners know how it performs.

Firstly ChippedUK is easy to find, the premises are clean and everything looks like they take a lot of pride in what they do, no oily tools etc lying around. The rolling road is simply stunning, makes the one at Courtenays look very poor, it contracts to fit both sets of wheels in place and then the plates sink into the floor leaving the car on the rollers. Very impressive I must say.
    They dipped the oil to make sure the car had enough in and also I suppose to check it's condition. They spotted a slight fault straight away as my brand new dipstick had some of the wire braid sticking out and loose which wasn't good so they filed it flat, nice of them

A quick run later and the car pushed out almost exactly what Courtenays had recorded, 135.5bhp and 123.3lbsft, Courtenays was 134.6 and 121lbs/ft so very close.

They then downloaded the original file from the ECU, well I think they did it all got a bit confusing as they were in and out of the car with laptops etc quite a few times. Nothing seemed to happen for a while but I presume the new map was uploading.
    After around 1hr the car was again run on the rollers, this time it recorded 145.9bhp and 135.6lbs/ft.

The car was then removed from the rollers and I was asked to take it for a spin for my first impressions. The map was apparent from the first minute, it took off smoother, took up when in motion faster and just generally felt much better. On the way back the difference was even more apparent on the motorway, pick up from around 80mph was much quicker, the car revved higher as well as the rev limiter had been moved to around 6850 IIRC.

Cost was £150 which for what I got was extremely reasonable, Jason was very helpful and friendly even though he was also doing lots of other things at the same time.

Only thing that I can say in criticism was that I'd have liked to have been kept informed on the process more but that's just me, I'm kinda paranoid about rolling roads as the Courtenay one was a disaster as the very first thing they said was that both my front wheels were buckled which didn't go down well, so everytime Jason said things like Oh dear or don't understand that I kinda freaked out expecting the worst.

On the plus side, both my front wheels were still straight and not flat spotted which was nice to see.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice to here everything went great and that your happy ken i will have to get mine done me thinks soon very soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all that for 150 including two RR runs thats good and is that the standard price for what you had if so ive got to get one of them

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent, i must get my SRI Turbo down there at some point.

I met Jason a few years ago when i bought some alloys off him and he was a really genuine bloke who certainly knows his stuff, so i'd have no concerns taking my car there.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I beleive the £150 price was a one off but I'm sure Jason can confirm whether the offer stands for other members for a while.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a cracking deal... fancy a remap my self... Nice gians there too.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the write-up.

As it turns out this car had a very wierd immobilser setup using 4 banks of code as apposed too the usual 2 so in order to make sure the end checksum resulted in the same figure the work took a little longer.

I pride myself in making sure this is the case with all road cars we do.

Today was mega, i also had to write files for 11 other dealers so was mega busy doing them as well so i was stressed to the max

On a lighter note, the fiat that was waiting couldnt be run.
    He drove 160 miles to us with no anti roll bar.
    It snapped last week so he simply removed it.
    The car wouldnt go past 15mpg before it wobbled like a drunk geezer at 2am

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive just been looking at your print out what does dispersed power mean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got lots of mods will they sort the map for it. ive got eds phase one will that make any diff

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChippedUK
    Cheers for the write-up.

As it turns out this car had a very wierd immobilser setup using 4 banks of code as apposed too the usual 2 so in order to make sure the end checksum resulted in the same figure the work took a little longer.

I pride myself in making sure this is the case with all road cars we do.

Today was mega, i also had to write files for 11 other dealers so was mega busy doing them as well so i was stressed to the max

On a lighter note, the fiat that was waiting couldnt be run.
    He drove 160 miles to us with no anti roll bar.
    It snapped last week so he simply removed it.
    The car wouldnt go past 15mpg before it wobbled like a drunk geezer at 2am
    how long are you going to be doing the live maps for £150?
    i want mine done as soon as ive sorted my exhaust out.
    coupe 1.8 played with 162bhp and 139.7lbs/ft of torque on tap

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast