Thread: Down on power??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Down on power??

i posted in an earlier thread that when put on a dyno, my car put out a whopping 90hp at the wheels as stock...and 145 hp at the wheels after a custom ecu was fitted and tuned (basically the same as a cs2/3 or maybe evo 3 map?). i have since run a 1/4 mile and achieved a dismal 14.5 sec run (best of 4 runs, others were 14.6 x 2 and 14.7)...

engine has less than 30k miles on it, running 1.2 bar boost(trails off to 0.8 up the rev range), have custom front mount cooler, have custom 3" exhaust from the turbo back, platinum plugs, k&n pod filter, power pipe etc...fuelling is near perfect at 11.8 afr for 95% of the rev range.

basically wondering why i am down on power? some have mentioned about pulling fuses for the traction control etc which i was told that they did pull the fuse on the dyno...so why with all my mods would i read just under a stock figure?? the only thing i can think of which might sap a little power is my 18" wheels which are quite heavy...but i cant see how they would subract more than a few %, (especially since it looks like i am close to 30% down in power from what i should be???)

anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong? i have no warning lights and car drives smooth and fast(idles perfect, no smoke either)..tho obviously not as fast as i thought.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone?

i just cant see why the figures are so low...getting a compression test done soon, but i really doubt that could be it.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe a dodgy sensor. Common one would be AFM but could also be air temp sensor. Heard that these can pass information to the ECU with 99 degress causing the the ECU to back off ignition and boost.

If you have a ODB2 reader you could check air temp yourself

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Depending on how hot your engine is would make a difference. Vauxhalls retard the timings at 92 degrees so therefore doesn't matter how good your mods are if the engine is hot then you ain't gonna get the best result. Now I'm not blaming this entirely. Courtenays do a new cool running thermostat to help with this problem.

Other things could be the TC on your 1/4 mile times although this should in theory help you launch however I'd be tempted to run without the fuse in. The dyno should of pulled the fuse to run on the dyno I'd be pretty supprised if they didn't. Have you got your print outs? Was it the same Dyno you used?

Your custom IC and custom exhaust maybe a problem. Now I'm not knocking your car but from what I've heard some of these items are particularry poorly made or just don't work. People have taken their cars into Courtenay and Regal to find out their exhaust is actually hindering them and that the IC is loosing too my pressure and not giving as much boost as it can.

I'm no expert I only have ever had n/a cars but I hope this will help you a bit.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    unfortunately my exhaust was made by one of the best people in my city, and there isnt a pressure loss as my boost gauge takes its feed from the map sensor, just before the inlet...

i know heat soak can be a factor...but not 30% ish!!

the drag strip runs i did switch the TC off, left it on once by mistake and i lost time on the 60ft compared to launching manually...

ignition and boost are no longer being controlled by the stock ecu, the haltech takes care of the fuelling/boost/timing etc. i dunno anymore.. i should just sell it and get an EVO.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i thought the fuel air mixtures were supposed to be between 4 and 6 % not 11.8...... or might just be me getting mixed up. anyone?
    previous car - SRI Turbo
    new car - Focus RS