Thread: Turbo issues = Software upgrade from dealers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Turbo issues = Software upgrade from dealers

My GSI went into the dealers yesterday to be looked at becuse the turbo has been playing up... really jolty/unsmooth and just didn't feel right. Previous threads have said this is prob the AFM so took it in to find out.

Anyway, they phoned back saying the problems would be solved by a software update, did that under warranty and asked me to collect the car!

I don't know a lot about software updates and what they can/can't do but could it resolve problems with the feel/smoothness of the turbo? They seemed to think it could but I'm not convinced. Also, he said that the ECU will re-learn stuff for the first 30/50 miles. Is this true? And if so should I be driving it in any particular way?

It's a '53 btw... with vx service history so would have thought the software would be uptodate anyway!?

Still, the car got a good clean so that's a bonus!!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vaux release updates quite regularly. y missus signum has been in for 2 although they dont release them as such, you only get them if you ask for them

They can cure all types of things, the ECU controls pretty much everything on these cars so it could aid fixing the runnign problems you exlpain

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Software updates are common fixes these days, but its only used when a problem is reported by the customer, or a service recall. If its a common problem, once a fix has been found the dealers can ring/email technical and they will advise if there is a fix for described problem.
    I work for Volvo and we do software downloads all day long, you can cure a clock that looses time, correct an innacurate speedo (handy on the police cars!!) cure running faults etc etc. Anything that is controlled by a computer can be altered - so thats nearly everything these days!!
    You cant even just swap a radio from one Volvo to another,it wont work until you carry out a software download!!!!