Thread: Selling Car... Any Tips?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Selling Car... Any Tips?

Okay, so i got a guy looking at my rover tonight... he phoned yesturday, and came to look at the car, but it had gone dark by the time he got to my house, and no1 in thier right mind would buy a car in the dark.

Straight out he asked me what the lowest i would take was, and i told him my lowest price i could go.then he starts lookin over the car and trying to pick fault.

the car is a T reg and its in damn good condition, few little things here and there, but nothing that affects the cars functionality.

already he got me to offer him a cd player. so i gotta pay for a cd player. but i dont wanna give anything else away, and i CAN NOT go any lower on price, im already losing about £500 on what i paid. + work thats been done to the car.

any tips on stopping him going lower...

If he is adament of going lower, theres always the "ive got someone else interested coming tomorow" anything else i can say?

this is the first time ive ever had to sell a car, and i didnt even get a proper routine off people i bought my cars off in the past as they were both off friends.

any tips would be great.

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith
    Straight out he asked me what the lowest i would take was, and i told him my lowest price i could go.
    First mistake, NEVER tell anyone whats the lowest your prepared to take.

If your asked that, your reply is always the price it's up for sale at.

already he got me to offer him a cd player. so i gotta pay for a cd player. but i dont wanna give anything else away,
    Again why, you don't want to spend that amount to sell the car, it's sold as seen.

any tips on stopping him going lower...

If he is adament of going lower, theres always the "ive got someone else interested coming tomorow" anything else i can say?
    Yes, f**k Off.

TBH honest you'd be better off telling him it's sold and find someone else.

Remember to make sure its polished and clean. First impressions always count.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    he's trying to get something for nothing.

Sure i'll throw in a cd player, but i'm selling the wheels to pay for it. One or the other.

Make no excuses, tell him. It's the price/condition that is stated, no extra's, no bargaining etc, don't like it? Find another one to buy and ***** off.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keif
    First mistake, NEVER tell anyone whats the lowest your prepared to take.

If your asked that, your reply is always the price it's up for sale at.
    As i say ive never been in the situation where i would know what to do. it was kinda sprung on me that he was coming round to view the car, i got a phonecall, i wasnt going out so he came round. during the time he was coming round, i was cleaning the inside of the car... i hadnt expected anyone to come round that soon to see the car, so therewas still grass in the passenger side footwell which had to be quickly disposed of.

Again why, you don't want to spend that amount to sell the car, it's sold as seen.
    As it happens i had a friend there that offered me one of his old cd players to put in the car for not alot of money, coz the guy was sayin it would cost £100 for a cd player... i thought "**** that will it", but he was a potential buyer i didnt wanna outright call him a liar.

Yes, f**k Off.

TBH honest you'd be better off telling him it's sold and find someone else.

Remember to make sure its polished and clean. First impressions always count.
    he was interested, tbh, im gona stick at the price i said, and cd player coz its been offered, if he tells me he wants it for cheaper im gonna tell him where to shove it, its a great car, a great runner, and its in great condition, its worth more than i put it up for sale for, and its worth alot more than what im prepared to take, because ive got my parents down my neck about getting rid of it. PLUS ive offered him a cd player, i cant take it back, i need rid of the car now, so screw it, he takes that offer or not, he can look round the car and pick up on whatever he wants, i aint gonna budge now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Id always jus say "Make me an offer" and take it from there. Never tell them what yer hoping for it
    And I agree with the CD Player, if it dont come with one then he can get one himself! As we all have to when we want a better stereo in our car
    Dont feel forced into selling for a price you're not happy with, jus tell him its too low, he cant force you to sell it

Make sure its clean and tidy, bear in mind some buyers will think youve got something to hide if the engines warm when they come to view. Dont come across as desperate to sell it either, it automatically gives the potential buyer the upper hand

Either of these might be useful
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/sel...ling_a_car.jsp
    http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/buy-cars/ca...ing-guide.html
    Astra 1.8 SRi, Z18XE, 5 Door, Star Silver ---RIP 18/12/2006---
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i feel dumb now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As i say ive never been in the situation where i would know what to do. it was kinda sprung on me that he was coming round to view the car, i got a phonecall, i wasnt going out so he came round. during the time he was coming round, i was cleaning the inside of the car... i hadnt expected anyone to come round that soon to see the car, so therewas still grass in the passenger side footwell which had to be quickly disposed of.

As it happens i had a friend there that offered me one of his old cd players to put in the car for not alot of money, coz the guy was sayin it would cost £100 for a cd player... i thought "**** that will it", but he was a potential buyer i didnt wanna outright call him a liar.

he was interested, tbh, im gona stick at the price i said, and cd player coz its been offered, if he tells me he wants it for cheaper im gonna tell him where to shove it, its a great car, a great runner, and its in great condition, its worth more than i put it up for sale for, and its worth alot more than what im prepared to take, because ive got my parents down my neck about getting rid of it. PLUS ive offered him a cd player, i cant take it back, i need rid of the car now, so screw it, he takes that offer or not, he can look round the car and pick up on whatever he wants, i aint gonna budge now
    Id be very tempted to tell him someone else has offered slightly more money with the standard stereo and see what he does mate... Or jus tell him its bin sold

And theres no need to "feel dumb", youve never done this before
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there was NO stereo in it.

there is however a set of kenwood 6x9's on the parcel shelf.

I dunno, what to say. coz i dont wanna say someone is coming round very interested in paying what i am asking, coz he is def. under the impression i'll sell it for £1400, not £1500 now so he'll be coming round with that price in mind and try and nock me down from there. if i say something like somone phoned and sounds very interested in it for £1500 it might just throw him right off, and send him packing, which i dont really want..

im not desperate for a sale, im not desperate for cash, i just want rid of the thing to save me some ear ache.

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Is it advertised with no Stereo.

If so thats how you should sell it. If you have got one tell him it's £100 more.

As said above, you don't feel forced to sell it for a price your not happy with.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    £100 knock down aint too bad actually, I think most people expect you to come down a lil bit so youve not done bad

Tell him you'll take £1350 with no stereo at all, he can go get his own then. Or tell him youve got an old tape player knocking about that you can put it in take it or leave it and get a cheapy for £40 from argos

As per Keif above, if you didnt advertise it with a stereo...
    Vectra B 2.0 DTi LS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast