AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pardoe16v's Astra 1.8 sport

BEFORE I HAD ANY PLANS......

Brought my astra in december 2004, a standard MK4 Astra G 1.8 sport

at this point i had no real plans for it except to make it look nice!!!

Before i even owned the car i had brought the hella front zenon headlights, the hella rear afterburners an irmscher grill, i had fitted the irmscher grill within 3 hours of actually owning the car!!!

however i found astrasport.co.uk and soont he mods started coming, a very good GSi spoiler rep and plans for bigger wheels (thats all i wanted i told the missus!!!! )

a piccie i took after a few good polishes and a few mods......

back to those alloys!!! my clio had 17"s so i had to go one bigger and match my dads BM, took months of deciding but i knew as soon as i saw the Kei Force 10's in hyper silver that their chunky spokes would compliment the chunky lines of the MK4 perfectly!! and imo i think they still do!!

couple of pics of the alloys being fitted at 'wheel worx' in mansfield, top guys and very cheap

decided to have them wraped in some toyo sticky stuff!!! 215/35/18

then the sterio started to annoy me! out went the CDR500 and in a sony mp3 HU, and then when all the speakers popped i decided to uprate everything, out came the credit card and some serious hagling with the guys at bass junkies in yardley and managed to pic up some alpine components for the front, and a kenwood sub and amp for the bass

(trust me this is a tempory setup )

I still didnt have a set plan, but if something was available at a good price i had it, managed to get a set of H&R coilovers of a AS member for £300, massive saving i thought, well when it all arived turned out a strut top bearing was missing!! could i find one??? searched all local suppliers as they were different to standard vaux ones, eventually a comapny (http://www.bearings2you.com/index.htm) managed to find me some froma german supplier (suprise suprise) £25!!! oh well i had £1ks worth of suspension for £325!!! and it performes well!!

At the same time i was fitting some small 'attention to detail' bits, like number plates, blue LED dash conversion.....

Irmscher alluminium dash bits, pedals mats, all the individually cheap bits that always add up and cost a fortune!!!!!

and a pic of the car eventually lowered

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THEN IT STARTED GETTING SERIOUS.....

I wanted an exhaust, obviously, but didnt want what everyone else had got, and after looking at a lot of styles and trying to avoid powerflow i decided i wanted a Janspeed twin oval backbox, wanted being opperative word!!! davelad on here then magically 3 days later had one brandnew for sale saving me about £40 off RRP!!!! so then i fitted that..

then the christamas LMF astrasport meet came up, where i brought a set of irmscher pedals, K&N panel filter, and because the janspeed backbox on its own wasnt loud enough a remus centre section, as well as aquiring a set of vectra rear door handels and colour coding them...

so this is what it looked like for the start of 2006, at which point i was happy, didnt feel any need to modify it any more.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THEN IT DID GET SERIOUS....

Well i started to get to know people on astra sport, became the west midlands regional organiser with brett, started seeing more modified astras, giving me ideas, and news of the shows came up, and i carried on modifying!!

during all of this i started getting interested in building a car PC due to a mate at work having half built one had loads of bits left over for me to grab at a god price, i brought his touch screen and few PC bits

brett gave me his old centre console which i started flushing the touchscreen into

but i wont get into this now, as i built 2 now!!!

anyways, PVS 2006 was coming up so i felt i had to make something different for people to see that saw it at the LMF meet up, so i made good the boot gear....

thanks to brett for a few ideas, ( sorry i more or less copied yours too!!! )

so now i thought hey ive got a nice car that will get noticed at Performance Vauxhall Show!!!

how wrong i was, this was the first show i went to and the standard was a lot higher than i could of imagined!!!!!!!! my car was dismissed in my eyes as it had standard bumpers etc.. i had to sort this out soon, very soon as i had signed uo to go to GTi international in france in a couple of months time!!!! big tasks layed ahead, and more happend in these months than has happend all together to date!!!

first body kit as i said before, was looking at GSi kitting it for a while, and had actually got my hands on one a lot cheaper than the going rate, how ever that fell through, and to be honest im glad it did! i got in contact with a chap called daron who is setting up a new car modifying business in worcestershire, and we had an agreement as such, cheap parts in exchange for advertisment! i had already got a set of side skirts of linea (AS Member) and a rear GSi bumper off norm29 (andy)so this new agreement sorted me a oh so nice lumma LPC-R front bumper (in the words of homer simpson, aaarrrrggggghhhhhhh )

so i had some fun, and meet a bloke off here at PVS, andy with the V6 astra, a helping hand was there before i went ahead with the bodykit, we (i actually mean andy) flushed the rear Gsi bumper for me, exhaust recess and towing eye cover, (big thank you!!! ) anyways got all the kit painted and i was soo soo sooooooo happy with the result, the car was so much better, and i loved the attention i was getting, which is very addictive and made me want more!!!

then the rolling road and remap day came up that i orgainised, i had fitted a cat back exhaust (remus and janspeed) derestricted the air intake, and a K&N panel filter, so it would be cheeky not to have the car remapped!!!

the remap was shocking, i was kicking out the standard 115bhp even with the breathing mods!!!!! i was not happy, anyways the live remap soon took advantage of the 1.8's new lungs and churned out a tad under 140bhp in the end and an extra 40lbft torque at redline!!!! the car was litterally transoformed, before i was changing gear at 4000rpm as the 1.8 ran out of umph, now it was near limiter if i deared to, but i dont like ragging it tbh, simply not worth wearing the car out like that! it made driving to france so mch better, no dropping the box to get speed up, and my petrol consumption went down, averaging an extra 20miles on a tankfull!

Big thanks to jason at chipped uk (www.chippeduk.com) for the excelent service and quality remap!

anyways, few other mods since then before we went to france

308mm Gsi brakesand got the first installment of the car pc fitted!

and a camblet change, full service for the over 1000 mile 2 day jorney ahead

me dad helping me with the cambelt

and me!!!! it was a bright day!

and the car made it to GTi international, god it was some driving 1260miles to get there and back, but it was a serious laugh

on the way there

there

my car made it to the show on the second day

yes, first international astrasport showcar!!!

and on the way back

Did you spot the subtle change from on the way there to the way back???

Yes the new rear lights, believed to be the first in the UK with them, no ones said anything other yet, saw a couple of cars over there with them but LMF were still sourcing them when i got them in the UK

so that was it for now, attended trax had another great time even though i spent more time watching the GBD1 drift team!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    THE NEW PLANS....

again i thought for a second that was it, and summer was coming to an end so naturally the modifying was slowing down. but news of a new job after xmas means i will have a company car, so my car can have the work done to it i realy want, things that arnt practical in everyday use that will be now! so look out here for progress of my new boot install and engine conversion.....

oh yeah my boot intsall as pictured above is now forsale!!!! PM me if your interest

few pics of the new bits

as for the engine so far ive brought
    VXR injectors and a DV26D dump valve

the current boot install is nice and looks very smart but isnt what i would call show stopping so im starting again!!!
    and taking full advantage of the ar PC, the PC will now run everything, where as before the PC was connected to the headunit through the AUX in line,

i shall now be running full on 4.1 dolby digital in my car, i have purchased two amps for this, an alpine MRV F545 4 channel amp to run the front alpine type R components and rear alpine mids, and an alpine MRD M1005 to run my new alpine type X 3000Watt sub

This will be made into a new boot install which plans so far are promising to impress!!!!

I am currently in the process of designing the chassis for the PC to be moved to the boot and be incorpearted into the boot install, however proper work cannot comence until i have sold my current set up so PM me if your interested!!!!

also to prove im taking all this very seriosuly and quality is what im after...

36SQFT of Dynamat Extreame!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MEANWHILE....

Im tying up a few lose end on the motor, and have purchased a few new bits since GTi international

on the way to france the mesh i fitted to the bumper which i had sprayed black got chipped, severly chipped, it let the whole car down, and while i was over there i found some mesh on one of the trade stands for sale which matched the mesh of the kamei grill perfectly!!!

so i fitted this, but it took me about 2 months to get around to fitting the foglights back in

these are my most upto date pics and proberly the most complete pics of my car,

and what i started about 6months ago

and this weekend i transfered my car onto the new number plate that was brought for me on my 21st birthday

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    car PC Chapter 1.....

A mate at work had built a car PC in his Mitsi FTO, well half of it anyways!!! Got talking to him about it and read alot, and i mean alot about it on various websites including

www.mp3car.com
    www.digital-car.co.uk

both very usuful, and very worthwhile reading through the FAQ's to get knowledged up

anyways i brought his 7" lilliput VGA Touchscreen, acquired a secondhand centre console and got going with the screen fabrication. I didnt want to use fibreglass and bodyfiller as with the heat and expansion problems it has a very high tendency to crack, so i researched into chemically bonding them together, found some very good info on MP3car.com for this,

I basically melted down some ABS Plastic pellets in acetone, (yes nail varnish remover!!! ) which turned it into a thick sludge

and used this to bond the screen and the centre console together

this when put on the plastic of the screen and the centre console actually melts the surfaces of them, so when it all drys its one sold structure rather than stuck together, it worked very well as when you flex it from top to bottom it wouldnt crack at all!!! anyways problem occured when i couldnt get a good enough finish on the plastic to paint so i had to put a very fine skim of body filler on it to paint,

result....

i didnt think it was bad for the first proper paint/fabrication job i did!!!

so that was the screen done. When it came to the PC itself i fancied fitting it in the glove box! I did somemore research and as i did i came across a set up that included a power supply, motherboard, ram, extra pc cards like TV, in a custom case that was to cheap to miss, so i brought it!!!

as soon as i got it i took it all out of the case and started to look at fitting it into my glove box, major problem was it was a full form ATX motherboard, which is bloody big!!!

after many butcherings of my glove box i eventually got it to fit, but i lost full use of my glove box,

few piccys

all them wires was a headache!!! i just wrapped them all up into neat looms and the glovebox went back in

and hey presto it all worked!!!!

it worked so i was happy, i tieded everything up and put all the interior trim back on, however i wasnt happy deep down with the result, i knew i would change it eventually, it was just a question of when!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    QUICK UPDATE....

Battery has eventually given up on me!!!!

started in june time, the battery was going but the alternator beat it to it, so i decided to uprate everything ready for the new power hungry plans,

Ill be using well over 3000Watts on the amps alone (not that i think it will draw that much current unless you were killing the thing!!!) however thats nearly 300amps of current!!! so time to upgrade

Replaced the standrad 70 AH alternator with a 100 AH alternator, back in june, and ran an extra 60AH cable between the alternator and the battery terminal too cope with the extra current, how ever that battery seemed to be coping alright then!! but i had a feeling it was on its way out...

Winter has now killed it and a dead battery on the work car park is quiet imbarresing so new battery today...

75 AH Varta Battery, its a beast! just worried my polished battery cover wont go over it!!!!

Ive got the 1.2 Farad Capacitor in the boot install, but i think i will need way more than this so im currently looking into a split charging system and a leisure battery so i can run the PC for about 1 hour with the engine off!!!

ill keep you posted!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    CAR PC CHAPTER 2...

Well as i said before i wasnt happy with the finished artical with my car PC, nor was i happy with the fact my centre console was the same as everybody elses, so ive got new plans now with the centre console, ive seen it doen once before so i dont mind one other person having the same! not that ive got a choice

anyways thats a secret until i post up pics!!!

so the PC unit itself....

Turned out that on the old setup, the hardware just wasnt good enough to stream DVDs smoothly, its would do it if the conditions were cool and nothing else was running onthe PC, obviously thats no good!!!

(thank you to Jam here for helping me out in trying to get the old set up to work properly!)

so i started buying new equipment

first off ui brought a motherboard, i decided to use a Mini ITX form motherboard, ended up with a oh so popular 'Via Epia M10000'

This motherboard is made for the job, its 17cm x 17cm it has a built in 1GHz Proc, upto 1GB DDR400 RAM, and a very handy and hard to find MPEG2 decoder built in to help with DVD Playback!!!

I then aquired with the help of another AS member a 100GB 2.5" IDE Laptop harddrive, (thanks Dan) and using a converter is now compatable with the motherboard

current PC spec is

Via EPIA M10000 motherboard
    512MB DDR400 RAM
    TerraTac Cinergy 600 TV card
    100GB 2.5" IDE HDD
    5.1 USB sound card
    1 - 7 USB Hub
    7" Lilliput VGA TouchScreen
    Amacom external USB 2.0 CDRW/DVD Drive

the reason for the sound card is even though the motherboard is capable of on board 5.1, im using the mic in line for the bluetooth phone control!!

Few other plans involve OBDII reader, im currently building the interface between the car and the computer so ill keep you posted on that.

Anyways, the hardware has all been plugged together and is working beautifully!!! so now its software development time! (which i hate, so i get someone else to do it for me )

the mate from work with the FTO i meantioned earlier, well he knows far to much on this subject so who better to use hey?

anyways we decided to keep roadrunner as the front end software, which were still setting up to tun the TV and bluetooth phone control,

the fancy part of it is how it all starts now

upon turning the computer on, the bios starts as normal, then as soon as windows starts loading, instead of the rather crap looking windows logo and a loading bar, you get.....

which i love, he used photoshop to produce this!

anyways, the next task was to fit it all to the glovebox, but as said i really wanted away with it in there, so we decided to move it to the boot, and tie it in with the new boot install!!!

im currently designing the chassis on autoCAD, i took it into work the other day for our production engineering chap to help me with the bending allowences etc, it currently looks like this in sheet metal form...

and thats where i am atm, everything has slowed down recently due to birthdays and christmas, and now going away for the weekend has skint me out so not much will proberly happen until after xmas!!!

ill keep you all posted if i do though!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a quick thank you to everyone who voted for me in the astra sport car of the year 2006, i came 2nd which completly baffled me!!! wasnt even expecting to come within the top 3!! big thank you and congratualations to ffoeg (geoff) who came 1st!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New Boot Instal Progress

last weekend me and steve (monolith) finally finished transfering the boot instal from my car to his, and it sounded awesum! so i got started on my new one

First stripped out all the trimmings from the boot

and got started on fitting the new dynamat extream!

all done it looked like this!

big thanks to my mate timmo for the extra pair of hands! (yes i do actually have friends! )

Next is to remove the rest of the interior to run the cables for the PC, also to sound deaden the doors, rear quarters and boot lid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast