Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PC Help

Hi All

A couple of nights ago, i went to turn off my daughters pc in her room and it was frozen, mouse pointer was an eggtimer and in the centre of the screen, and wouldn't move, faie enough I tried the keyboard, windows key, ctrl-alt-del etc.. nothing. I was left with no option but to "big switch" it.

I had a look at it the next day, it started up ok allowed me to login, but as soon as it was logged in it froze again, not allowing me to do anything, again the power was cycled.

Now its freezing before it gets to the login screen, sometimes even when its still displaying the initial motherboard/memory check screen, which if i'm right is way before its even thinking about starting an operating system, which is winXp

any ideas guys & gals

any help greatly appreciated

Phil.
    25 Year old Gte restoration................Started!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mate. I had this happen on an old old pc. and it was down to the ram. Not saying it is in this case, but i'd suggest shutting pc down, check everythings plugged in correctly, like push all cables in 100%, take the ram out and reseat it, vacuum the insides out. It may not help but cant make anything worse.

I'm not exactly clued up with hardware, more software so im sure someone can advise you further.

Could also maybe be the cpu overheating..
    Regal Phase 3.5,VXR Turbo,VXR AFM,VXR Injectors,Courtenay FMIC,Dbilias Flowmaster,Regal Precat,Miltek exhaust,Lightened Flywheel,Uprated Clutch,Denso Plugs,Veccy Pipe,Eibachs,308mm Discs

Status
    BAFPCITS
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds well like hardware to me aswell... Unless you have appropriate software/hardware to test the sustem then it might be well worth taking it to a PC shop you trust.. Also its simple enough to do the check mentiones by Jonesy above..
    Mr Sploodge, Accept No Imitations!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm inclined to agree with you both in that its probably hardware related, but as you say its difficult to diagnose a fault in something without any sort of test kit

I'll go for the strip/clean/rebuild and see what happens...

thanks guys

phil.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Heatsinks could be buggered

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A liitle update, getting worse

did the full strip down clean hoover rebuild, was well needed, switched on and it locked up at the windows splash screen, turned the power off and back on and tried again,
    this time it didn't display anything, locked up straight away, had the cover open during this to make sure all the fans were running, which they were.

As i was sitting there scratching "ma heed" the fans started getting quicker and quicker, and then off. its now as dead as a dead thing, won't power on at all

would i be right in saying the on/off button on the front of a pc is controlling the power through the mo'board as opposed to switching the psu on and off.

i need to get this thing fixed, the wee begger is hinting at using my pc

phil

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You would indeed, and without a bunch of parts similar to what you've already got (but known to be working...) it'll be rather hard to work out what's wrong.

The best you can do is unplug everything you can from the motherboard and try to start it that way. Most modern PCs won't get very far without CPU and RAM installed, but other than that you're OK.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    computers tend to refuse to turn on if the processor is not seated correctly or the headsink is not seated on top of the processor correctly.

I had a computer that worked great for 3 years, and one day it stopped, checked everything and the heatsink wasn't seated correctly (i think after moving to a new house).

Just double check everything is seated correctly.

If you are comfortable with it, you can follow the wire from the switch on the case, and disconnect it. Where you removed the wires from, you can short the two pins emulating the button press, if this fails it seems you deffo have either a screwed power supply or processor.

If in true doubt get it booked into your local computer shop, they can test your power supply, processor etc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right then, finally got a break from painting, so had another look, she powered up this time and then, cut out, with a not so nice smell from the psu, so i think it was fair to say it was gubbed,

changed out the psu thinking all would be great, but no, the beggers still freezing, pre os start up.

a few people have mentioned the heatsink, surely it would run, albeit maybe not for too long, but long enough to start up ok, if the heat sink was a problem, the reason i ask is because, i don't have any paste, and one of the corner clips on the assembly is broken

any more thoughts

phil mc

ps, thanks again to all those who have assisted.