Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Boost Problems!

Right,

I decided to fit my boost gauge yesterday and as the turbo timer already T's into the vac pipe from the dump valve I decided to T into the same pipe. Which I did. But the boost gauge doesn't work and also the DV has stopped working and the boost gauge on the Turbo Timer only shows vac of -0.10 bar at idle where it used to be -0.70 bar. Under acceleration it is now not boosting anywhere near as hard as it used to. So this would make me think there is a boost leak somewhere. But I cannot for the life of me find it! :@:@ This is driving me insane!! Any ideas??

Thanks

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so why have two boost gauges ?

if the turbo timer has one then stick with that one

there was two on my car when i bought it and as i was keeping the turbo timer and decided to get rid of the pillar mount one

if you deffo want to have two then run both off of the fuel pressure line instead of the dump valve vac line
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    -10vac sounds like a vacuum leak to me
    Insignia CDTI 160
    200bhp DTUK
    2007 Suzuki GSXR for the weekends

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's not that I want 2 boost gauges, the turbo timer is in Pascals and I wanted to see it in PSI.

I found the main cause of the problem, one of the vac pipes from the fuel pressure reg had come off and now that's back on it's boosting better and the boost gauge works ok, but it's still not boosting as hard as it was before. I've had a problem for a couple of weeks where the DV isn't dumping properly, just giving a quiet "tshhh" rather that the usual loud dump. and it's doing the same now. There is a noise like an air leak coming from the area of the DV , but I've checked all connections along the vac pipe and all are fine, the only thing I can think is it's coming through the actual dump valve?

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    best thing to do is block off the baileys and unplum it to see if it goes any better, like you said the baileys MAY be at fault.
    Insignia CDTI 160
    200bhp DTUK
    2007 Suzuki GSXR for the weekends

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Only problem with that is I don't have the standard spring to put back in the standard dv in the turbo. :S

I've just a had a look tonight and took the DV off, and I noticed that if I blow through it (blocking the vac connector while I do) air leaks through and out of the trumpet part (DV36) is that normal?? I would have thought it should be air tight.

This is driving me mad, on idle it sits at about -20inhg on the boost guage, but it doesn't boost anywhere near as hard as it did before, and the DV is very quiet if it even makes a noise at all on gear changes. Although I can hear a noise like air escaping under the bonnet I cannot locate the source of it.

Might be time to pay someone who knows what they're doing. :'(

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the spring is knackered in the DV and you're leaking boost from it.
    Also check the vacuum pipe from the DV and trace it all the way the the 2nd boost control solenoid at the back of the engine - this one has a habit of coming off and you can't see/get to it very easily.
    You might have a leak too where you have fitted the new boost gauge - try removing it and going back to the way it was and see if the boost recovers.

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    AHH M8 IF ITS THE BAILEYS dv-26D I KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS....

i had this problem formonths... it was the DV sticking on me that was the problem.. it was finaly graig that noticed it on mine...... had mine in at vx a few times and they found nothing.

i solved mine by taking dv off.. stripping it down and cleaning it.. give the piston a wee lub up when your putting it back together.. i used a wee bit o WD40.. just every now and then give it another wee clean and squirt..
    solved my problems instantly

ok just read your reply properly now!
    deff sounds like you have a week spring.. get baileys to send you a new one m8. as for the oe spring.. anyone local to you that can give you a loan for a few weeks? thats what i done for craig with his.
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    Sounds like the spring is knackered in the DV and you're leaking boost from it.
    Also check the vacuum pipe from the DV and trace it all the way the the 2nd boost control solenoid at the back of the engine - this one has a habit of coming off and you can't see/get to it very easily.
    You might have a leak too where you have fitted the new boost gauge - try removing it and going back to the way it was and see if the boost recovers.
    I've checked the vac pipe multiple times and can't find any leak, also removed the boost gauge and still got the same problem. Cheers though matey

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow_Stu
    AHH M8 IF ITS THE BAILEYS dv-26D I KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS....

i had this problem formonths... it was the DV sticking on me that was the problem.. it was finaly graig that noticed it on mine...... had mine in at vx a few times and they found nothing.

i solved mine by taking dv off.. stripping it down and cleaning it.. give the piston a wee lub up when your putting it back together.. i used a wee bit o WD40.. just every now and then give it another wee clean and squirt..
    solved my problems instantly

ok just read your reply properly now!
    deff sounds like you have a week spring.. get baileys to send you a new one m8. as for the oe spring.. anyone local to you that can give you a loan for a few weeks? thats what i done for craig with his.
    It's a Bailey DV36, I assume they're easy to strip down and reassemble?? I was considering it last night, but I had visions of me undoing the allen bolts and everything pinging off in all directions. lol Will have to contact Bailey about a new spring.

Cheers Guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just spoken to Bailey and I'm sending it over to the for it to be re-built with new seals, piston & spring etc which is good.

But for the 3 days I have no valve, does anyone know anything I could use to block off the DV takeoff on the powerpipe?? The valve will be coming off tonight to be posted tomorrow morning, so need something without having to wait for delivery.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast