Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

precut window tint

Hi all

I've ordered precut window tints for my astra and they should be here any day now, i've done a search and found a few threads about window tinting,

i'm going to apply the tint myself, does anyone have and hints & tips on how to apply the tint, tucking it under the seals etc?????

how do i get my rear window brakelight off??????

any other tips???

thanks

A51M
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Keep it wet with water/washing up liquid or solution, keep it wet at all times! or it will lose its stick. I got sick of mine and binned the whole lot lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This will try your patience!!! Practice first....

Make sure the window is spotless - including seals.

Get the window wet using water with a little washing up liquid using a water spray gun (garden centre jobby)

Be very careful with the tint as any creases, dirt, dust etc will look terrible.

Once the tint is on the window keep it wet with the spray gun untill all bubbles are out of the tint. Use a credit card to smooth out all bubbles and water from the middle out. You should leave a small gap (1mm ish) around the edges to push the water out so shouldn't be pushing the tint under the seal????

Once it looks like there is no more bubbles to move use a hairdryer to dry the edges.

This will take you a very long time to get right, do not rush it.

Ive only ever blacked out the rear window of a van and it took ages - I remember thinking there is no way im gonna tint my Astra. Best option would be to pay a professional.....

Good luck....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did the two back doors of a combo van and it took best part of 4 hours to do and they are flatish glass and you dont have to work above your head.

if i was to do the astra i would remove all the trim arount the glass including high level brake light

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    My advice would be to check the package when you get them first, to make sure they are ones for the Astra (speaking from experience)

Only when there the right kit, go out and buy a squeegie and cut the blade in half and use that to push the bubbles out starting from the centre out.

Take your time and dont rush things.
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    This will try your patience!!! Practice first....

Make sure the window is spotless - including seals.

Get the window wet using water with a little washing up liquid using a water spray gun (garden centre jobby)

Be very careful with the tint as any creases, dirt, dust etc will look terrible.

Once the tint is on the window keep it wet with the spray gun untill all bubbles are out of the tint. Use a credit card to smooth out all bubbles and water from the middle out. You should leave a small gap (1mm ish) around the edges to push the water out so shouldn't be pushing the tint under the seal????

Once it looks like there is no more bubbles to move use a hairdryer to dry the edges.

This will take you a very long time to get right, do not rush it.

Ive only ever blacked out the rear window of a van and it took ages - I remember thinking there is no way im gonna tint my Astra. Best option would be to pay a professional.....

Good luck....

if you use a credit card you will end up with scratches on the film when the sun shines through they will show up, buy yourself a squugie as mentioned above once the film is applied to the window spray the whole thing again THEN sqeegie it as this helps the sqeegie to slide across the film without snagging, only use the card to tuck tint in behind the seals!

it will also be a good idea to take off the door cards, and once you have tinted to the top of the window its always good to apply a thin layer of clear nail varnish or laquer pen to stop it peeling when the window goes up to the seal....

i have been taught the trade secrets by a pro but even he has his bad days!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The hardest part you will find is doing the rear windscreen as it has a hell or a curve in it, even with the kit being pre-cut for the astra i found it to be a pain to do the rear.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've decided to pay a professional to apply the tints for me, i was never good at this sort of stuff and i want a professional finish
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats a shame, i was looking forward to seeing ur results,but ahh its probably for the best

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much did it cost to do it?? and how much were the tints??
    Benn - Vauxhall Astra MK4 5 door , 1.8 SXI silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast