Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Unhappy Braking Problems

I have been experiencing problems with my brakes. Basically when i hit them its just no where near the braking force that should be there. So last weekend I removed both the rear drums cleaned them right up using wire brush and compressed air to clear it all. Well they are both clean as a whistle....

My hand brake goes up 8 notches at the peak and probably 6-7 notches till it holds. How do I adjust the brakes without stripping the brakes down again?

Also when braking it makes a loud groaning sound from the front. My alloys are covered in brake dust but these are supposed to be 'performance' reduced brake dust pads on, although my alloys look like I've had them coloured.

I've checked the fluid level and its perfect. No leaks or anything.

Help someone please
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you checked / replaced the front pads?

i know you said you checked your rear drums, but most of the braking is done by the front anyway.

sorry dont know how to adjust the handbrake on an astra.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Yeah sorry I have checked the front pads and theres loads of meat left on them at least 1cm of friction material.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When was the fluid last replaced?

That much dust could signify that your discs might be binding slighty causeing the pads to run hot.

Then check that the self adjusters on the rear are taking up the slack OK, otherwise the cable might have stretced a bit, and you adjust that by fiddling with the nut under the H/bake lever

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Thanks Geoff,

The fluid has never been replaced so it could be time (03 plate). How do I stop them from binding?

I don't think the hand brake cable has been streched but I'll take up the slack and hope the rear brakes begin to tighten a bit more. I've tried pulling the hand brake as far as I can and pump the brakes to get the adjusters to work.

I nearly went through the shop window this morning coz it was just not stopping. I had hardly any braking power then the abs cut in to bring me to a stop but it just wasn't stopping me at all. No where near where it should be.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the rear brakes need adjusting. There should only be about 2 or 3 clicks on the handbrake, and never force it.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    Sounds like the rear brakes need adjusting. There should only be about 2 or 3 clicks on the handbrake, and never force it.

How do I adjust it without removing the hubs again? I tried to adjust them last weekend with the hub off and I couldn't get it back on so I had to slacken it a couple of notches but now its not really binding.

I'm still worried about the fronts making that aweful noise. But I have noticed today its alot better. I think the fronts are binding.
    Its a jam thing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    take the piece of trim off below the hand brake then remove the gaitor, looking straight at it theres a nut on the right hand side, adjust that to tighten the cable up
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like you need to strip the front calipers and copper grease them. I'd fit fresh pads too and replace the fluid. Have you had this problem for a while? it might be that your pads just aren't a good match to the discs. The binding will be causing the pads to overheat and glaze, the heat will also eventually warp the discs too.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    No its only just started doing it (over the past week or so). I noticed diminshed braking effect thought I'd better clean the rears as they have never been touched so did them last weekend and it didn't help much.

I do drive hard and heavy brake and with the limited effect of the drums at the rear theres a possbility of the heat killing the brakes. I'm gonna strip them down tomorrow if I get chance and regrease them and clean them right up. See if it helps.

Thanks for your help scott. As for the rears I don't want to tighten the handbrake cable I'd rather let the self adjusters do it but my problem is they are not self adjusting. I'll find out why at the weekend I hope.
    Its a jam thing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast