Thread: job application process

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry job application process

i applied for a full time job 2 weeks ago at the school i already work part time for! i handed in my application form, the guy contacted my references, 2 of them at the school anyway!!
    2 weeks later i find that they have just taken on a 16 yr old school leaver and sent him straight to college
    i have not even been given an interview, nor was i contacted to say that the vacancy had been filled!!
    is this common practice, i thought if your referees were contacted you was given an interview..to say the least im very p1ssed off
    i really liked the sound of the job too
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id say it varies from place to place

common courtesy mans you should be informed/contacted about whats going on

might be worth asking why you did not warrant an interview so you know for future jobs -(i.e dont be angry, your askin for you personal development )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the thing that gets me is i have been teaching here for 4 years never had a day off and never been late and always willing to help, and after all of that i dont even get so much as an email to say sorry but not this time.
    i think its very unfair.
    i sent the guy an email last night before i found out from someone else, that it had gone, so i guess i will find out this morning.
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    like me in work, was up for a step up job, applied etc, went on hols for a week hearing nothing, got back and someone else got it. it was all your my best friend ill do you a favor sort of thing
    Car broken- A3 170 quattro s-line

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have been told that the guy who does the interviews is very forgetfull and it seems he just forgot to interview me, so some 16 year old with no experience or qualifications got the job instead, how great does that make me feel knowing i have got to work at the same site still!!!
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you want to work for a forgetful bunch !!

id move LOL

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its only the one guy who is forgetfull, but once full time i would work with a partner and we get our direction from ubove this guy through email and job numbers.
    its a great place to work with 3 meals provided daily and 7 weeks holiday paid. and its right across the road from my house so it would have been perfect.
    i thought all applicants were entitled to an interview?? or is that not a rule? isnt it the case that anyone giving a reference cant give a bad one, if they are going to give one it has to be to a standard or they refuse to give one?? i thought there was something similar with regards to interviews? mabe im wrong...
    learning the hard way

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's no law about what can/can't be said in a reference, but most people won't give a bad reference because if you're refused a job which you could do on the strength of that reference, you could (in theory) sue the referee.

Therefore, if someone is that concerned, the most they will say is "I can't provide a reference for that person". It's up to the potential employer to decide how to interpret this.

As regards "have to give you an interview" - nobody has to give you anything. If they refused for reasons like "you're female" or "you're jewish", you could take them to court, but you'd have to prove that was the reason. I don't think there's any law against them being incompetent

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had an email back from the guy, he said he was on a course last week and it was left with someone else to deal with and they should have contacted me before now.
    i have replied asking politley of course why i was not given the opportunity to an interview and if he can suggest i do anything to make myself a stronger candidate for other future applications.

i just feel they are taking the p1ss a bit being as i already work for them. but there you go. i will wait and see what he says to that email
    learning the hard way