Thread: 1.8 astra sport engine... tuning the dreaded ecotec lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.8 astra sport engine... tuning the dreaded ecotec lol

Hey ! well ... sorry to all you rich turbo boys... but i have a 1.8 sport... and i want to make it at least a little bit quicker off the mark. im replacing the egr valve which has been pissing me off since i bought it, and plan to de restrict the air box and get a veccy c diesel intake pipe and a panel air filter, but what else would you bother doing to that ecotec engine? (at the moment theres only the exhaust performance wise so its a slow 1.8 im afraid). dont really want to piss around spending my lifes savings on cams lol, but what have the rest of you done to yours? ... this is just for a general discussion btw... im not expecting massive power from an N/A engine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got the X18 XE1 engine too, for me ive de restricted the air box etc veccy C intakem K&N panel filterm cat back exhaust and remap by chipped UK, much much better for all of it! just under 140bhp now too

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nothing wrong with the 1.8,

BUT, dont refer to it as a ecotec, every engine made by vauxhall for over 10 years has been an ecotec, its just the name they write on the top of them, it doesnt mean anything, and doesnt make your engine any different from anyother
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    pardoe - how much was remap matey if you dont mind me asking?

andy - the ecotec is down on power from the previous vauxhall engines mate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B
    no,

vauxhall engines have always been exactly the same, just retireing older models (out of date) and replacing with newer ones to meet the euro regulations,
    ECOTEC is just the name they have put on all the engines since about 1995, doesnt mean anything about the engine at all,
    just started with the X20XEV which was 14bhp less than the C20XE so people think they have lost power, vauxhall just put the ecotec name on to make them sound more enviormentaly friendly

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i arranged a group buy on them at chipped uk bromsgrove, £150 for a live remap

MK4 1.8 16V Sport and MK5 CDTi Estate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    andy in the example you gave..... if an engine loses 14bhp.... its a slower engine.... writing ecotec on a cover didnt make that 14bhp dissappear lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    andy in the example you gave..... if an engine loses 14bhp.... its a slower engine.... writing ecotec on a cover didnt make that 14bhp dissappear lol
    no but if they didnt put ecotec on the cover it would still have lost the 14bhp,

vauxhall made engines, the the EU said engine have to meet a certain requirment, around the same time, vauxhall decided to call their engines ECOTEC, as it sounds better, so they put ecotec on all the engines, (including the older ones, C18XE, and even the later C20LET's which were called the "redtop turbo engines" were fitted with ecotec badges aswell as the C20XE, the 2.5 V6 was fitted with the ecotec badging) it has nothing to do with losing power,
    has nothing to do with anything to do with the engines, just vauxhall/GM decided to name the engines ECOTEC (just the wording on top of the engine covers) as most people would look at them and think...ooo....ecotec....must mean its economical, and good for the enviorment,

i wasnt trying to have a go i was just stating a FACT which bugs me when people say the whatever ecotec engine..all vauxhall engines isnice 1995 have been ecotecs, and they will still be ecotecs for a few years yet, its just a name,

so you know why "some" of them are lower powered than there previous counterparts are the fact the EU have decided all engines must meet certain requirments as far as emmissions etc. so whats why pre 1992 engines didnt need cats (e.g the 20SEH) then they needed them to meet emmisions so the engine codes got a C in front of them (hence C20XE) then later the regulations got tighter so the code was a X (e.g X20XEV) then in 2001 got even tighter so got a Z (e.g Z20LET)
    (thats not all 100% spot on but gives you the jist)
    because of the requirments to meet these regulations, some engines lost power, (same as the C20XE fitted to pre1992 cars was the 20XE without a cat and was 156bhp rather than 150bhp, not because it was a ecotec, because it wasnt, but just because it had to meet new or upcoming regluations)

(that was prob a littler ott but hopefully it made snese)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The ECOTEC bashing kinda gets on my tits too. So every Vauxhall engine from approx '95 onwards is crap?

the ECOTEC versions of the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 all produce more power than their older sohc, 8v, relatives.

OK some models are lower but it's not exactly by much and in the case of the 2l the X20XEV is overshadowed by an engine that was designed to go touring car racing with. Hardly a disgrace....
    Vauxhall history - 13S | 14NV | C16XE | X20XEV

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Plus recent engines are putting out more power than the previous versions, and run cleaner.

Z12XEP is 80hp compared to 65hp from the X12XE
    Z16SE is 85hp compared to 75hp from the X16SZR
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast