Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

About ESP

Hi guys! I hope you are all fine.

I am writting because I'd like to know what experiences you have had were ESP really helped you to get out danger.

I am asking because this weekend my car slipped out of a curve a few meters and I am not sure it doesn't slipped more thanks to ESP.

Any experiences you wanna share?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You sure it was ESP, and not just the tyre finding some grip??

What car you got?
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 2006 Atra turbo.

I am not sure if it was ESP... I know it works because I have "forced" it to operate in parking lots and in controlled situations, but this time is the first I was in a no controlled environment and car slipped without any anticipation of my part

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, sorry you got me there, you're not in the UK are you??

in the UK: ABS and ESP are considered two different systems.

ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) stops the wheels skidding when you brake, and allows you to steer while braking heavily without the loss of control.

ESP (Electronic Stability Program) can work in several different ways, but basically detects that the car is skidding whilst cornering and does 1 of 2 things: 1) sends more power to the wheel that has more grip (probably the outside corner) or 2) gently applies the brakes on certain wheels to make the car find grip on corners where it is sliding. At the same time some systems cut the throttle so that you can't accelerate any more.

You'll also find that TC (Traction Control) is linked with ESP, and stops you accelerating too hard when your wheels lose grip and start to spin).

Although these systems are linked and use some of the same technology it is possible to have one but not the other.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so going back to your original question, I quite regularly get the TC light flashing when accelerating away, as far as I'm aware I haven't had ESP kick in (whilst cornering too hard) and have only needed to call on ABS once - this was when driving in (patchy)icy conditions.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh! Sorry If I have not given too much information.

You are right Teejay, I am in México.

My question was about ESP, the 2nd system ou described. When i sayed that I have "forced" it to act, I mean I was driving in an empty wet and slippery parking lot and then I twisted the steering wheel so the car understeers and yes, i could hear the ABS pump working and the car steered to the right direction.

This time when the car slipped in a non controled situation and really caught me off guard, I am not sure if the ESP kept me from continue slipping, becuase the condition scared me so I was not paying attention on the system.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had the ESP kick in on my Coupe Turbo a few times and to be honest I'm not a fan of it at all. I obviously won't be saying this when it does actually save me and the car!

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joaco
    This time when the car slipped in a non controled situation and really caught me off guard, I am not sure if the ESP kept me from continue slipping, becuase the condition scared me so I was not paying attention on the system.
    Yes, you have ESP. Yes, it just saved your life!!! But it doesn't require thanks!!! And if you didn't notice it, then it did it's job perfectly!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teejay
    so going back to your original question, I quite regularly get the TC light flashing when accelerating away, as far as I'm aware I haven't had ESP kick in (whilst cornering too hard) and have only needed to call on ABS once - this was when driving in (patchy)icy conditions.
    does a 2.0 SRi have ESP then?
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've only had mine kick in when being silly and swerving from side to side. Felt a funny feeling because i knew i hadn't touched the brakes, but felt the car dive down one one side on the front when it independantly braked just one wheel. It took me a while to realise that it had been the ESP.

When you turn the TC off, does the ESP get turned off too?
    Mk5 Astra 888 CDTI No.58
    "you can’t help but drive the 888 Astra hard, everywhere, constantly" - Evo Magazine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast