Thread: get remap or chipped

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

get remap or chipped

i have a 1.8 sxi 2001 model 125bhp i think i have got veccy c mod with a bmc dia induction kit i have a scopian catback coming in a few weeks next i want to do either ov the above whats the best i.e for money, performance you no where im going also who can get me a good deal with one of these in the near future cheers all
    Astra Coupe SE2 - lowered , de-restricted and soon to be mapped NEW WHEELS ***autobiography below***
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=334120

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nenver heard of getting the Z18XE chipped? just remapping the original ECU?

where "chips" it?
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not sure thats why i was asking i persumed its been done lol anyone now
    Astra Coupe SE2 - lowered , de-restricted and soon to be mapped NEW WHEELS ***autobiography below***

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    considering ur location youd probs be best paying a visit to Wilko who's based in Scarborough. Check out his site @ www.cobus-chiptuning.co.uk or do a search for "wilko" and youll get all the info u need.

Unfortunately theres a lot of uncertainty at the moment here on AS (and other forums) regarding the results of these tuners in comparison to RR based methods but judging by several members on here - its money well spent. £180 (AS member discount included) - ECU either remapped in person or courier service available.

Hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spike
    not sure thats why i was asking i persumed its been done lol anyone now
    i thought (could well be wrong) chipping a car is what was done to cars before the ECU could just be updated, it was changed for a new "chip" so basically replacing the ECU chip,
    newer cars can just be plugged into a computer and updated so thats what is done, a new "map" is written to thew original ECU so it is "remapped".

for te 1.8 the EDS software that regal use is the only widley avaliable map (from regal etc) and is about 140bhp ? check www.regal-shop.co.uk
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate will get intouch im i right saying you can post your ecu then refit it and its done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spike
    cheers mate will get intouch im i right saying you can post your ecu then refit it and its done
    yup...pretty sure thats the procedure . personally id go for the other option as its only a short drive. obviously i dont know the full procedure so hopefully wilko can provide all the info u need

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers ya a star mate

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Older cars with 'hard coded' ECU's needed chipping before they could be remapped. The process involved adding another chip which either worked in serial with the cars ECU and changed the outputs/inputs accordingly, or piggy-backed the ECU and changed it that way. The chip could often be removed when being sent to garage for MOT, or after a 'prang' when the insurance company would be snooping round. The new CHIP could have the software or MAP changed.

Newer cars have a software based ECU, and the new MAP is basically a different version of the software which is loaded into the cars computer to make the engine behave in a different way. Often tuners will take a copy of your original software, so that they can put it back if required. This method of MAPing is rarely noticed by Insurers etc, but may be noticed by garages doing warranty work, as they will see that the timing is 'out' and the mixture running 'richer'.

Hope that clears it up
    0-60 in 6.5 secs and 48mpg- winner!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im trying to put together a performance package for this engine, with a tubular exhaust manifold, cams and inlet manifold, with tailored software by wilko, but it's still "in progress" (manifold and cams are sorted, and there is a supplier, inlet is on the drawing board, although just about ready for prototyping and testing, software must wait), though if you can wait a while, this would be by far your best bet pricewise.