Thread: MK 4 Keyfob/Remote And alarm

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MK 4 Keyfob/Remote And alarm

I've got an Astra Mk4 here, when i first got it the buttons to lock and unlock the car worked, but now they don't, i've tried fitting a new battery into the key but they are still not working. I don't care that much really but every time i lock the car with the key the alarm sets itself, so when i unlock it and open the door the alarm goes off, and i have to put the key into the iginition to stop it.

So i either want to know why my remote key isn't working ? Or how i can avoid setting the alarm when i lock the car manually/setting it off when i unlock it manually.

David
    Drives : 52 Plate BMW 3 Series M Sport Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have u tried resynching the fob?

If u leave it more than 3mins between removing ur old battery and inserting ur new battery then you'll have to re-sync the remote control........but dont worry its nothin major - just a case of inserting key, turnin on ignition and pressing the lock button within 10secs.... doors should lock then unlock to signify remote has been syncronised.

Also note that even if the LED on the remote lights up but the above procedure doesnt work - then the battery will probably be guff - and it just has enough juice to light up the LED but not unlock/lock the car. This happened to me. So just get ur self a brand new CR2032 battery and try the above procedure.

If this dont work then let us know and we can try another port of call

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, just tried the above procedure with a brand new battery installed and still having no luck. I notice in both of the 2 keys i've got here there is a folded up piece of card which seems like it was put there to keep the battery in.........

What do i try now ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    with the sounds of it your gonna need two new key fobs, card is put in there normally when the connections have broken. so two new key fobs or try two thicker pieces of card.

obviously if you have two new key fob they will need programming.
    life's to fast to go slow. so get the turbo.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    There is a way of locking the car without the alarm but it will be more of a short term thing as it's a bit of hassle and you won't be able to deadlock the car

To do this with then engine running wind down the window, get out and close the door then through the open window switch the engine off and lock the door with the key holding it to the lock postion to close the open window

As for the remotes i'd get down to vauxhall as it could be the reciver on the car thats faulty rather than both remotes
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the connectors have broken, the unit the battery pushes into is loose, its not secured to the circuit board....... When you say new fobs will need programming, what do you mean exactly? The same process you told me to try in the first place ?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I think first time round they have to be programmed in by vauxhall it's only if they drop out they can be reprogramed yourself
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you buy a brand new remote, they need programming to your vehicle with tech 2, and your sec/immob code for your vehicle.

as above you can only reprogram them yourself if they loose sync with the car after being programmed by tech 2
    life's to fast to go slow. so get the turbo.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had this problem it is there the battery holder the leg has come away very common in fobs just re solder it a bit fiddly but it will be fine..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Woke up this morning and my keyfob which worked last night no longer did. Swapped the batteries to no avail.

Quick search on the here, 2 minutes later and a folded up piece of card and we're back in business! This place has saved me a fortune! lol

Any ideas as to how much a new key all tech 2'd up will cost when the time comes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast